Buuurnt!


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Loving Caye Caulker more and more as I'm here longer! Have had a great couple of days! Wednesday was a day just chilling in the sun and the sea by the beach as we were feeling a little tender from OCEANSIDE nightclub the night before! Was a very funny night and a late one! Have got very friendly with the group of 11 that we met on the bus from Guatemala - they are all couples/one group of three that have met along the road. Paul (english) and nic (australian) are from London and have been travelling for years, have some great stories and at 38 Paul is the dad of the group! Then there's Allie and RoseMarie, Both doing medicine for their 2nd degree at St Barts london. Allie went to bristol first so has been giving me lots of hints and tips..and basically saying how jealous she is, and Rose Marie is from Aylsham believe it or not and went to Wymondham...small world! They are meeting us on Utila in a week for some diving too!
Then there are Frank and Alex, 2 dutch guys who are very funny and have recommended Nicaragua lots (everyone we have met has preferred this to Costa Rica!). Kate, Lyndsey and Sophie are three friends from high school who met up with the group just before us and are doing some diving in the Blue Hole today! And finally Sophie and Jo, at Uni in Loughborough. All of them are older than us, but it's fine...!

Yesterday was the best day of the trip so far - for $30 each we had a private boat with 3 excellent crew members to go to do some snorkelling on the barrier reef! It was (excuse my language) fucking amazing!! The water was turquoise and warm, and we thought we were lucky to see some dolphins on the way out..but that was just the start. A list of the things we saw just doesn't cut actually touching them/swimming right next to them!

Green sea turtle
Nurse shark
Loggerhead turtle
Bottlenose dolphin
Lobster (our staple diet for the last few days which is fantastic!!)
Every kind of tropical fish you could imagine (dory from finding nemo!)
Barracuda
Sting rays (huge and so weird to touch!)
Moray eels
Manateee!

Will took his underwater camera and has got some great shots to show when we get back! However, being in the water all day means i am suffering a bit from sunburn even with so much suncream on! The trip back was amazing too! We put the sails up, cracked out the reggae, and started on the one and a half GALLON supply of rum punch, accompanied by chicken and fish burgers, salsa with tortillas, tropical fruit and shrimp! Such a good day!

Today is going to be a relaxed day (hard life I know!), but as the locals keep saying..the motto for the island........

Caye Caulker - Take it slow!

Speak soon

Ben x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb