Scuba Diving in Caye Caulker


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I am without photo uploading capabilities or a lot of computer time on this trip, so I'll be keeping these updates brief and expand when we get back.

Wes and I arrived in Belize on July 18th and headed straight to Caye Caulker for some relaxation and island time. Our first night we went for a quick swim at the split, a beer at the Lazy Lizard, and then spent the evening enjoying the breeze on the balcony of the Mira Mar Hotel. Grilled lobster and snapper made me glad we came here during lobster season!

We spent our first full day getting our bearings and starting to plan our week. Wes signed up for a Scuba certification course with Belize Diving Services and they got him in the water right away to do his confined water work. We treated ourselves to a nice dinner at Don Corleone's after, enjoying the Italian/Belizean fare.

Day 2 was a dive day - we went out to Turneffe Atoll. Wes did his dives with the class while I dove with a guide and a nice trio from Madrid. We saw several spotted eagle rays in addition to the usual reef life.

Day 3 (today) we dove in Hol Chan Marine Park. This time we were greeted with many nurse sharks. It was so cool to see them up close in the water. Wes also saw a moray eel and an enormous eagle ray. I mostly saw smaller fish, and amazing spur and groove formations. The former geologist in me had a hard time paying attention to the fish, instead trying to figure out how long ago most of the hard coral had died and the soft corals took over.

Wes is sunburnt and needing a day off from the sun, so we are undecided on how to spend tomorrow. Perhaps we will head inland and come back to dive later in the trip. Regardless, he is now a certified diver, and looking forward to logging more time underwater.

Advertisement



22nd July 2009

Wish I was there...
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
22nd July 2009

Jealous
Sounds like you are having a great time already. We are jealous of the diving and the lobster dinner. Hope you are taking a lot of pictures. Have fun!

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb