Going slow in Belize


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After the volcanoes and ruins in Guatamala, it was time to catch my breath and get in some beach time in Caye Caulker, a laid back island about 1 hour by boat from Belize City.

The first day I went on a snorkelling tour around the island, and it really was the best snorkelling I have ever done. At the first site there were dozens of rays, swimming around and and even touching us. Kept thinking of Steve Irwin, but these rays where of the more harmless variety. At the next site there where large schools of fish, colourful corals, and best of all, reef sharks that swam with us and that we could even touch! All in all it was an amazing day snorkelling!

The second (and last full day) on the island I spent working on my tan (the backpacking life is hard after all) on a pier, as there are no real beaches on the Caye (they where washed away by a hurricane, which also split the island in two).

The next morning it was time to move on again, so I caught a boat back to the mainland and then a bus north to Mexico.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb