Go Slow


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our Latin adventure is back online after a brief descanso (break). Our Travelblog amigos claim our blog site was down due to technical difficulties and it won´t happen again. Trevor was able to retrieve most of our lost blogs and photos, but we´ll type fast about our Go Slow experience just in case...

The islands of Belize are relaxed, laid back and como se dice... despacio (slow). We switched back to English in Caye Caulker and saw ¨Go Slow¨signs everywhere, from the dock where we disembarked to the streets where we found specialties like lobster, hog fish, banana bread and the local drink, the ¨Panty Rippa¨ (rum and pineapple juice). ¨Go slow¨is the island motto and we were actually heckled by the locals for walking too fast to the dive shop.

After catching up on our relaxing or ¨getting our bronze on¨as Trev says (a few more weeks in the island and we might finally fit it) at our seaside cabaña, we dove the world-famous Blue Hole. We dove down to 130 feet, through underwater stalactites, and back up through up through 12 sharks at a time. We enjoyed lunch at a deserted island and observed the rare, red-footed booby bird (Much like Quitman, Trev never misses the chance to see boobies).

We enjoyed two more dives at the sweet reef, packed with fish, sea turtles and even puffer fish. Yes, in one trip, we pet a chug (chiuahuah and pug) AND a puffer fish. We also spotted countless lizards like myself and after paling around with Wrigglebeans in Colorado and Mini Beans in the British Virgin Islands, we met... Tiny Beans.

¨Just sittin´ here sweatin¨ was too common a saying and I was just too hhhhot (as Pedro would say) so I had our friendly laundromat/salon owner chop four inches of my hair. We even had our very own BBQ in the Caye. Trev bought a fish from a fisherman for $5 and fired up the open propane tank with firewood and cardboard. He used the local jerk seasoning and lime to make our best meal yet. The next day, we tore ourselves away from Caye Caulker to see Tobacco Caye, another miniscule island the size of your backyards. We bonded with our new UK friends and enjoyed hammocks, Belikin beer and the laidback island lifestyle for one more day before starting the trek back to Guatemala to study español. Stay tuned!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Tiny BeansTiny Beans
Tiny Beans

First there was Mr Beans, then mini beans in BVI, ahora tiny beans
Red Footed BoobiesRed Footed Boobies
Red Footed Boobies

There were hundreds of them and their guano (poo) is what sustains life on the island.


8th August 2007

Amazed
Once again, I read your journal, studied the photos and realized I am speechless. Doesn't happen often, does it? You both continue to amaze me. That's all I have to say. Except one more thing, Trevor, what are those blue plaid shorts about? They amaze me, too.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb