Karen and the Golden Ticket


Advertisement
Barbados' flag
Central America Caribbean » Barbados » Bridgetown
December 29th 2012
Published: December 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

ticket ticket ticket

This ticket was like gold to me.
Well, actually it was a blue ticket, but I was just as excited to get it.

The father of a lady I know in Barbados owns race horses, and one of his colts, a two year old maiden named Stratford’s Lad was scheduled to race at the Garrison on Boxing Day. (By the way, in the context of horse racing, “maiden” refers to a horse that has yet to win a race. It has nothing to do with the animal’s gender.)

A couple of days before the race, my friend pulls me aside and asks if I am still planning on going to the races. “You bet” I replied, “wouldn’t miss it.” She then hands me an Owners’ Guest pass which not only allows me entry into the grandstand, but also into the Owners and Trainers box to watch the race.

The Owners and Trainers box had a terrific view of the finish line, as to be expected. It also had a bar tucked into one corner and three pari-mutuel windows for betting. Four Bajan ladies sat near me, and they probably thought I was a proper fool for standing and cheering as Lady Quill crossed the finish
Rahy StormelloRahy StormelloRahy Stormello

winner of the first race
line. They politely clapped for the winning horses and jockeys. In fact, applauding popular jockeys during the post parade was common, something with which I was not familiar. It was a nice touch, though.

I watched seven races, bet on six, and came in in the money on five of them. The Victor Chandler Stakes Race, with the second largest purse of the year in Barbados, was won by Aristodemus. Aristodemus is a US bred horse whose lineage traces back to Secretariat and Storm Cat, both legends in the racing world. His jockey, Anderson Trotman, crossed the finish line by two and a half lengths to cheers and shouts of approval.

The Garrison Savannah, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, has been home to horse racing for over 150 years. The first races were ad hoc affairs with wealthy planters challenging British Army officers stationed at the Garrison. Racing today is just as exciting, but maybe a bit more relaxed. (See Boxing Day at the Races )
This is a grand way to spend a holiday afternoon in Barbados; I highly recommend it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Garrison barracksGarrison barracks
Garrison barracks

A glimpse of the old barracks across track
Protect, Defend, ServeProtect, Defend, Serve
Protect, Defend, Serve

This bench advocating condom use is outside the Barbados Defense Force barracks.


30th December 2012

Fun!
I'm so glad you are having a fun time. The photos of the horses look great! Happy New Year!
4th February 2013

You Didn't Say
You didn't say whether Stratford's Lad is no longer a maiden
13th February 2013

Stratford's Lad
Stratford's Lad was scratched before the race. He did run a week later, but came in fourth.

Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 35; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb