A New Years Greeting From About Time


Advertisement
Published: January 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Christmas is over, and as I’m writing this, it’s New Years Eve. We’re anchored in Elizabeth Harbour just off of Stocking Island, and have been enjoying the holiday season here, with our family. Steven arrived on December 20, Dawn Paul and Ella on December 22. It has been a wonderful holiday, (even if the boat is a little crowded), and we know we are just about the luckiest people in the world!

In our last blog we were half way down the Exumas, in the Bahamas Land and Sea Park. We got stuck there a little longer than we had hoped, and we were starting to sweat it , that we wouldn’t get to Georgetown when Steven arrived.

Finally on December 11th, with good weather we left Wardwick Wells, with the intention of stopping at Blackpoint, and hanging out there for a few days, before heading down to Georgetown. We chose the little Bay next to Blackpoint to anchor, and spent the afternoon exploring a deserted beach and the the remains of a resort, that only got half built. The next morning we woke up to a weather report advising us that the weather was again going to turn bad, so we left Blackpoint and sailed down the banks to Cave Cay, out into the sound and on to Georgetown, arriving in record time. Although we had very strong wind, it was in a favourable direction, and I don’t think our boat has ever gone that fast. We arrived in Georgetown about 2:30pm on December 14th, and were greeted by about a dozen dolphins as we entered the harbour. We always take dolphin sightings as good luck, so we think they were telling us we are going to have a fantastic winter.

We spent lots of time last winter in Georgetown . It is a very cool place, with lots of other boaters, and a fantastic place to spend Christmas. When we first got here this year, there were about 35 boats, now there are 90 boats and growing.

Georgetown is a very special place for boaters at Christmas. It’s nice to be in a community with other people at special times like Christmas. Without the commercialization, shopping etc. it is more relaxed, and the cruisers all get together to do things that are fun and memorable. On Christmas eve we had a get together on the beach, sang Christmas carols, read Christmas stories, and even had a dance. (by special request from the French contingent) I helped out with the music, something I always enjoy. Some of the boats with kids made up some really cool songs about Christmas, and cruising. On Christmas day we joined DoubleWide (the boat anchored behind us) for Christmas dinner.

We have also been diving, kayaking, playing lots of volleyball, swimming and beach walking. Quite a good life! It’s been nice visiting and catching up with Steven’s life (He’s very busy) and we really enjoyed having him here. He left yesterday, and is now back getting ready for his last semester of school. Dawn, Paul and Ella are still here until Sunday so we get to spoil Miss Ella for a little longer. Ella seems to really like the sand and the beach life, and even has been kayaking!

So far we don’t have any company coming this winter, so after Dawn, Paul, and Ella leave on Sunday, we are planning on heading further south to the Jumento Islands, Long Island, and possibly Cuba, before coming back to Georgetown at the end of February. Believe it or not we are heading home to Ontario for a week at the end of February to go sking for a week. We’re not sure what we’ll do with the boat that week, but maybe we’ll just leave it on a mooring ball in Georgetown.

2008 has gone super fast for us and it has been wonderful. We’re looking forward to 2009 being just as good, and we wish you and your family a healthy and happy 2009.

Happy New Year


Sharon and Doug
Aboard SV About Time




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Caroling on Christmas EveCaroling on Christmas Eve
Caroling on Christmas Eve

Doug on guitar and singing.
Dawn on Boxing DayDawn on Boxing Day
Dawn on Boxing Day

Steve and Paul getting back to the boat at 6am after Junkanoo.
BarbacueBarbacue
Barbacue

Sometimes its difficult to get good food in the Bahamas!
Paul KayakingPaul Kayaking
Paul Kayaking

Another by Steve, he is quite the photographer.
Ella liked the BoatElla liked the Boat
Ella liked the Boat

The boat was small enough that we think Ella thought it was her play house.
Warwick WellsWarwick Wells
Warwick Wells

A favourite spot.
BooBoo Hill Warwick WellsBooBoo Hill Warwick Wells
BooBoo Hill Warwick Wells

Boaters can leave their boat name using natural materials.
About Time MomentoAbout Time Momento
About Time Momento

Last years was still here and so we attached this years to it.
Galliot CutGalliot Cut
Galliot Cut

Entering Exuma Sound from the ocean side.
Happy to be in GeorgetownHappy to be in Georgetown
Happy to be in Georgetown

We had supper at the Chat and Chill to celebrate getting to Georgetown.


2nd January 2009

a great start for the New Year
Loved hearing about life on board your boat and all the exciting things you are doing while your family was visiting. What a lovely way to enjoy Christmas. Those photos are beautiful - who can resist those beaches and aquamarine waters!? Happy New Year to you both. Cheers, Yola and Garry
3rd January 2009

Looks like you had a great Christmas.
Its so nice to have the whole family down there and Ella looks like she enjoys it and the special attention from grandma and grandpa. Stephen is quite the photo bug too which is great to take the pressure off of Sharon. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the Bondy's. Ben and Heather are down with us, Jake and Jess unfortunately could not make it due to work committments. Mexico has had good weather but certainly chilly at night, with even some rain. We have done lots of neat stuff too, yesterday Ben and I went fishing and saw a humpback whale up nice and close, tons of pods of dolphins and caught a good number of fish. Having a good time too. Cheers.
4th January 2009

Happy New Year
Love the photos. We feel warm just looking at them. Glad you were all together for the holiday. We are off to Peru in a few weeks - looking forward to escaping the snow! Enjoy your winter travels! Barb and Bruce
5th January 2009

Happy Holidays! Great pictures and nice to hear about the family adventure. Safe travels and best of health for the New Year. Huibers Family
7th January 2009

Love to read your blog.
I,m happy to hear you had a great Xmas with your family the pictures are beautiful and I really enjoy recieiving your blog. You do have a good life. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU BOTH. Keep on writting take care. Gertie

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb