ESCAPE THE VORTEX 2


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba » Oranjestad
January 28th 2014
Published: January 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Enjoyed a lazy day at sea. Opted for the wine tasting, no surprise there, and sat at a table with Purdue alums or former Purdue employees. Lovely ladies and so easy to remember, two Nancys and two Marys. The Cellar was funny and very knowledgable and the wines he chose were interesting and distinctive and good representatives of their variety. I particularly liked a Savignon Blanc (sic), Nobilis from New Zealand. I usually don't care for this type of wine as it seems too acidic for me but this was quite good.



The winds have picked up since we passed by Haiti and the skies clouded over so I decided to read and nap. Soon I was rocked to sleep. Good thing I set a wake up call or I probably would have missed dinner. This is the first formal night and you actually wouldn't know it except for some gentlemen in tuxes. Unlike Europe where women really "dress", everyone seemed drab. Guest Services sent me a bottle of wine for the inconvenience of changing cabins. Brought it to share with my table mates. A nice Cab.



Thought briefly about going to the show but recovered and sat down to play poker. Terrible cards, lost $40 and headed to bed. Reading a good book by Harlan Corban, Six Years, and hate to put it down. Very few books have that effect now. Tomorrow we arrive at Aruba where I have a sunset sail planned. Can't believe it's day four already.



Aruba



The final distance to Aruba was so windy that both pools were closed. The lounge cushions at the aft pool were blowing off the chairs. I found a lounge by the Lido and watched the pool surf for awhile and finished the Corban book. A salad plate and ice cream made up brunch and I header to the casino but there were not enough players for a tournament.



Took a brief nap and then we arrived at Aruba. Cranes are still obvious but not as many as on previous trips. The sunset cruise departed on time and was a lot of fun. The crew, and especially Robertson entertained and educated us about the island, it's geography and history. Drinks flowed and an assortment of appetizers were served and reggae provided the music but nothing could compare with the sunset.



Returned to the ship in time for dinner and was touched to be invited to visit Nancy and Graham in South Carolina. Will probably never do it but it was a lovely thought nonetheless. Now to bed as I have an 8:35 tour tomorrow to the beach. Hoping the water is warm enough to do some snorkeling.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb