Dec 18 Oranjestad Aruba


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba » Oranjestad
January 4th 2011
Published: January 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

6AM Wake up call. A quick breakfast in our room with a view of one small island and a tree. We were docked with our side out to the ocean so there was no hint of what our first Aruba looks like. We only had until noon in this port so we had to leave by 7, one of the huge disappointments of these port stops is nothing opens until 9. It was a beautiful day at 28C.

Aruba was discovered by the Spanish in the early 1600’s and acquired by the Dutch in 1634. It was the A in the ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) once a member of the Netherlands Antilles it now stands independently since 1986. The Arubans speak their own language Papiamento it is a combination of Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, English, African and Indian. The main agriculture crop is the Aloe plant, its the worlds leading producer. They also have the largest oil refinery in the world located on the southeastern tip of the island. Along with tourism it is a prosperous island.

This is apparently our main shopping port jewelry is the big push aboard ship for this place and when we got ashore that was all you saw for shops. I personally, am done with these types of purchases so know that I am not interested.

There were a lot of shore excursions offered aboard ship for this port (way overpriced) and looking back maybe we should have done this as I left this tiny island with a ho-hum attitude. There was not enough time to really explore on our own so our group decision was to walk the streets and shop. Ron bought a hat and I bought a top. We stopped at a open bar by the harbor and enjoyed a beer by the ship.

I found Aruba really touristy with a huge very high end mall, casino and many jewelry stores right where the boat docks. If you walked back a couple streets there was better shopping off the beaten track. All the stores were like being in America there was even had a Victoria Secret!!! When we walked you can see that the main street was for show clean and beautiful; as you walked back a few streets it gets worse as you go.

We returned to the ship and enjoyed a special English luncheon of fish and chips and mushy peas. After, we went topside and watched the ship leave Aruba. Once at sea we returned to our room to enjoy a glass of wine on our deck and I decided a 3 hour nap was in order leaving Ron to entertain himself for the rest of the afternoon.

I woke in time for a shower and another relaxing meal in the dining room and a comedy show (We saw 3 comedians in the last couple days and none of them were good.)We are on our way to Cartegena Columbia and should arrive at this port tomorrow morning at 9AM.


Foot Note: For whatever reason the computer has decided to change all my headings on the pictures and not even put some in. The 1st should be or ship at dock,then the main street of Aruba. We also found a park on the ocean and managed to get a pirate ship shot for Owen!!! The shot of us is in the bar by the harbour and the beer of course is the Aruban brand. The last 2 are shots taken from the top of the ship as we left Aruba.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb