HONG KONG


Advertisement
Asia
January 21st 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had one more day at sea before finally arriving in Kowloon, Hong Kong on 21st January, just in time for Chinese New Year on 23-25th.

Unusually, we had one more night sleeping on the ship whilst berthed in Kowloon before people had to disembark (usually first thing in the morning in the port, i.e. 7.00 a.m. people are disembarked). As Kowloon was opposite Hong Kong Island, it also meant a great view of the laser show of the city at night.

So during that day in port, some friends from the ship and I visited Stanley Markets. They planned to go by bus rather than take an expensive tour, so we caught the Star Ferry over to Hong Kong Island and then caught the double decker bus to Stanley Markets (so nice to ride in a double decker again).

The bus trip was the best part of the trip as we all sat up the front of this double decker, and it went up and down hills with great views of Bays along the way, including Repulse Bay. (I can see why that became a favourite of the Brits. when they lived there.)

On the way back we went for lunch in the famous Jumbo Floating Restaurant. I really wanted to see this place at night as its all lit up and looks spectacular, but never got around to it as you have to take a ferry there. After lunch we went out the back to see where the live fish were kept and some lady in a small boat offered us a trip around the harbour, so we thought why not.

That night half the ship packed and early the next morning, it was time to disembark the ship for good. Without doubt I was going to miss being rocked to sleep at night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb