Changing rooms (I used to love that show...)


Advertisement
Asia
September 3rd 2011
Published: September 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Phnom Penh to the Rex Hotel, HCMC

Phnom Penh to Rex Hotel, HCMC

Bonjour from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam's capital. Your beloved blogger, Elana, here 😊

We arrived by air in a particularly painless fashion; the plane took off EARLY and we had landed again within half an hour. We got off the plane, waited all of a minute for passport control and another for cases.

When we got to the hotel, we were impressed by the lobby. There's a Cartier right by the front door in the Rex arcade, and a Burberry, and, my personal favourite of course, Marc Jacobs XD

When we were taken to our room, however, we were in for a shock. The lobby of the Rex Hotel having been clad out in marble and suffused with excellent, and very expensive shops, definitely belongs to a 5 star hotel, but the room would look more at home in a guesthouse or hostel. I took some pictures, so I'll upload them if I can. We went back down to reception and negotiated a move, but the room we then were shown was not much better. But we did prevail, as we managed to get a free upgrade to a junior suite room, which was much bigger with a much more satisfactory bathroom, although it is still basic. Our guidebook describes the rooms as plush, and I don't know what they mean by that. But we are much happier in our new room and Mother will be proud that we swapped twice.

And now, having had a nap (and Mikes having a dip in the rooftop pool), we are going out to dinner to a Vietnamese restaurant called Nguyen, which is supposed to be lovely.

POB
Xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb