Heroes and Cowards


Advertisement
Asia
July 19th 2010
Published: July 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The months since my return to Afghanistan from my trip to Europe have been relatively quiet. Although acts of insurgency have been occurring, they seem to have tapered off in number and intensity, with the exception of a couple of high profile attacks. No one seems to know if they are simply running out of assets to conduct their operations or if it some kind of a lull in preparation for a major offensive.

I thought I’d use the opportunity to provide a glimpse into the behind the scenes life here at the PRT. In addition to American and Canadian military, police and diplomatic personnel, there are close to a hundred locally employed nationals (LENs) working at PRT to support the day to day operations of the camp.

These Afghan LENs are interpreters, cooks, carpenters, repairmen, and general labourers. Many of them have learned their trades right here on the camp from Canadians. They have learned to build furniture, pour concrete and repair air conditioning units.

One of them in particular is a man in his 60s who was nicknamed “Popeye” by some soldiers years ago. Camp Nathan Smith, the PRT, is located in what used to be a fruit cannery in the 70’s. At that time, Afghanistan was booming and the cannery was a major employer in Kandahar City. Popeye helped build that plant and worked at it, right through the Soviet invasion in the 80’s, when the plant was scaled back. When NATO forces took over the abandoned plant, Popeye went to work for them, more specifically, for the Canadians. He has 3 wives and several children, 2 of his sons also work for us here at PRT. They have essentially known no other life than working on this site.

A number of years back, some of the medics on camp realized that Popeye was sleeping in an old shed, they gathered building materials and with the help of army engineers, built a small house for Popeye and his sons to sleep in between shifts. Popeye became a respected elder amongst the LENs, in a country where the life expectancy of a male is 42.

Popeye, and all the LEN, live under constant threat. They must conceal their employment from friends and family as anyone cooperating with NATO forces may become a target of the insurgency. Some reside on camp to avoid having to travel in and out of the gate. Others take elaborate detours on their way home to avoid being followed. Most interpreters wear scarves to conceal their faces when working outside the wire. Obviously they must see some reason to continue to work for us under those conditions. Perhaps some feel that they are contributing to the welfare of their country by helping NATO forces, I suspect though that most do it because the money is better than any job they could hope to get in their own economy.

2 nights ago, I was getting a drink before bed. I saw Popeye filling one of the fridges on camp with bottled water, something he did every night without fail. When he finished, he apparently headed off base on his motorcycle. He was apparently headed to visit his wives. Late that night, his oldest son discovered his lifeless body a few blocks from the camp walls. He had been executed.
At this point I can only speculate that this despicable and cowardice act was committed by Taliban insurgents.

A collection has been taken up here to help the family. The intent is to purchase some goats for them and donate a little money. A service is also planned to help the other LENs grieve and show our support and appreciation for their work.

I also learned recently that a fast track immigration system is in place for eligible LENs. Surely, folks who work as hard as Popeye did would make fine Canadians.


Advertisement



19th July 2010

You have to wonder...
That's too bad to hear, Pat. I agree that Canada could use more hard-working, dutiful people such as "Popeye". Instead, we seem to get some immigrants who have little respect for Canadian police or the law; where some commit multiple criminal offenses. You have to wonder where Canadian Immigration legislation is at, when people like Popeye are kept out, and certain "imported" criminals are not being shipped back to their countries of origin.
19th July 2010

May he rest in peace.
19th July 2010

" Heroes and Cowards ". Well said Patrick. Stay safe
19th July 2010

Popeye
Hey Pat!! Is there anything that I can send for Popeye's family? Money, clothes? If so let me know what, and how to send it. D
19th July 2010

Popeye
Thank you Pat for giving me a peek into the life of this man. He seemed,from the pic, like a man at piece, in a world of chaos. I hope his family is okay. It seems so pointless to kill a man purely trying to survive and support his family. Thanks again for keeping in contact, and stay safe my friend.
20th July 2010

Popeye
I heard the story of Popeye on the news the other night and thought what a loss it must be for those who knew him and counted on his presence. Another one of the senseless acts that no doubt take place on a regular basis in a war zone. Take care and I look forward to hearing more of your stories when you get home...safely.
21st July 2010

Quite a story
That's a pretty sad ending Pat, I'm sorry to hear. There's a whole bunch of things I want to say right now but I better not, they might be taken the wrong way. Terrible that people like this are killed and others live on without conscience. Take care Pat and we'll talk to you soon. We'll have to go on a nice long bike ride when you get back. Bill
24th July 2010

Pat, Popeye sounds like he was a wonderful man. Such a tragedy. We would like to send some money for the family. Do you know how we would go about doing this? Please let us know. Keep safe Pat. We are keeping you in our prayers. Cyndi
27th July 2010

Hi Pat, It makes you wonder sometimes how we can treat other human beings the way we do! At least Popeye will be remembered as a positive member of that society!! P.S. Remember to play safe over there!
4th August 2010

Popeye
Many Canadian Foreign Posts I have been on there is always a "Popeye" type local that Canadians embrace as one of their own. They are hardworking, humble and a family orientated person that are just trying to make life better for their family. It is shameful and utter cowardice that something like that would happen to a person trying to do good in his life and for his family. My heart goes out to Popeye and his family. Stay safe Pat.
23rd October 2010

Good luck Pat
As someone whose brother served with the British Army in Iraq, I have nothing but admiration for you or any national who undertakes such work. Your country should be proud of you and your blogs demonstrate an approach to the people and life of Afghanistan which is admirable. Good luck with your mission and I hope you get to see your family in soon.

Tot: 3.951s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0562s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb