2 morons in a kayak and other stories from Halong Bay!


Advertisement
Asia
July 1st 2010
Published: July 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

So, we set off for Halong Bay on sunday morning. We arrived after a 3 hour bus and boarded our boat for a seafood buffet lunch! Our hopes of watching the football with other english people were dashed when everyone else on the boat spoke french, and 2 were deaf! We spent the day sailing around looking at the amazing scenery, and visiting the 'amazing' cave, which was actually quite amazing, but we had no interest in it because we wanted to go swimming. (As we were dragging ourselves round we thought that our dads would be very annopyed if they could see us not appreciating it, but we really realllllly wanted to go swimming!) Before we were able to go swimming we were shown to a kayak, given a paddle and told to be back in an hour. Right. So off we went, shouting 'left right left right' at each other (much to the delight of everyone else on the bay im sure) but we got the hang of it eventually, and were actually feeling quite proud of ourselves. On our way back to the boat our rhythm was in full flow when we saw a very large boat heading towards us, there was a man on the front making some sort of waving guesture with his hands, neither of us had our glasses on so we just assumed he was telling us to go forward and carried on paddling. Then his waving got a lot more frantic and we realised he was actually telling us to stop so we started paddling frantically backwards, with everyone stood on the eck of the boat laughing at us and us practically crying with embarassment! (we are now in hoi an and we were talking to a lovely girl for ages when she suddenly got a look of recognition and said 'hang on you're the two girls in the kayak!' Turns out she was one of the people on the boat, as were the 2 guys she was with. Safe to say we got laughed at alot, it really is a small world!)

So anyway, we were in bed by half 9 with kareoke blaring in the background, earplugs in and we were fast asleep. The next day we went on a lovely bike ride through cat ba national park (until hannah popped her tyre on the way back and we had to walk the rest of the way!). On the boat Jess decided that of course she didnt need her ipod for the man many hours of bus journeys to come, and threw it in the sea, a decision she soon regretted. (Ok, so it was actually a bad combination of a seasick scrabble to the side and an unfortuante tipping of the boat at exactly the wrong moment. There is now a little part of her mind in which halong bay will always be known as that stupiud bit of water with the rocks in that stole my ipod!) We also went to monkey island, and saw 1 monkey before deciding that was enough and sitting on the beach, then we departed to our private bungalow on what can only be described as a raft with a motor and some aspirations. So we made it to the island, which was paradise,. We had a barbeque for tea with fresh clams, Jess thought of her uncle graham and auntie angie who always appreciate good seafood with her on holiday, and tried to text them to make them jealous, but it didnt work sadly! We ere in bed early again, and up at 5 to see the sunrise! Then we had breakfast and set sail back to the mailand.

Left at 8am, arrived in hoi an at 1pm the next day so all we want to do here is sit and soak up some sun by the pool! So we shall leave yo with the thought that we will finally be still for a few days, and on to nha trang on saturday! Results tomorrow, wish us luck!
love to everyone! x

Advertisement



1st July 2010

only your mother!
Hi you two Lovely to read about your recent antics. I was really worried about the Kayak bit as I remember the man having to come and rescue you and tow you in when you were on the boating lake at Peasholme Park and couldnt get the hang of it - seems nothing has changed! One thing you didn't miss was the football. Our garden looked lovely and we even had the TV out of our bedroom set up in the doorway of the summerhouse and chairs on the garden for those that wanted to sit in the sun and still be able to watch football as it was so hot, we had lots of chairs set up in the living room so that we could seat 10 people comfortably - everything was perfect good company and lots of drink just very wrong result which ended in a drowning of sorrows and I would imagine a lot of sore heads on Monday morning! Love and miss you xx
4th July 2010

JUST READ ALL YOUR NEWS AND ARE PLEASED TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE COPING SO WELL AND ENJOYING YOURSELVES. GOOD LUCK FOR THE REST OF YOUR TRIP. fONDEST LOVE gRANDMA AND GRANDAD

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb