Pokhara


Advertisement
Asia
March 15th 2010
Published: March 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from the top of the world! The day began at 5PM driving to the mountain at the edge of Pokhara. We drove half way up the mountain. It took about an hour to hike to the top from there. I was winded by the time we reached the top. Spectacular views. The mountains are amazing. The Annapurnas are only 800 meters lower than Mount Everest. It was still cloudy at sunrise but the clouds cleared after about half an hour. We then had early morning chai at a tea house near the top and then walked back down to the coach. We visited a Shiva temple deep in an underground cave and took a boat ride to an island in the middle of the lake for a visit to a Durga temple. Nice boating on the lake.

I also got a haircut from a local barber .... cost me about $2 including head, neck and shoulder massage. The tour guide told me afterwards that the locals are only charged about sixty cents. I still think I got a good deal. I also got a one hour full body ayurvedic massage .... very rigorous, felt like gumby afterwards.
I checked out the the local boat rentals for sailboats. They had 2 wooden sailboats about 18 ft long renting for about $4/hr. However, there was no wind when I checked midafternoon.

The Maoist strike only lasted one day so we are off to Chitwa in the morning. Tomorrow morning we are going to do the sunrise mountain thing again except this time we are going to hike to the bottom from the halfway point instead of up. Should be a lot easier.
Not sure if I will have internet access in Chitwa for the next couple of days. Looking forward to the safari.

Thanks for all your birthday wishes!! It will be one to remember.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



16th March 2010

Mountain View
Again. Spectacular. I talked to my Indian co-worker and she said you will find that this time will go by so fast and that this is not nearly enough time to see and do all you want. I can see you are soaking it all up. And one more time... HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I love those mountains. Keep smiling. I'll be in Annapolis tomorrow for acupuncture. Not exactly the same as your message, but boy do I need it. Have fun... Namaste
16th March 2010

Pic
Is that pic of you before or after the haircut?
16th March 2010

Happy High Birthday!
Hi(gh) John! It is great and fitting that you are celebrating your b-day at the top of the world. The pictures of Fish Tail and Annapurna are wonderful. The air up there must be quite exhilarating. May your spirit soar even higher than your physical altitude! You are obviously having a very good time on this trip, so we hardly have to wish you Happy Birthday--but we will do it anyway. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SRI JOHN! We don't have to give you a present either because you have already given yourself this super trip--however, you may get a present anyway. Right now you have your head in the clouds, but, when you come back down to earth, keep in mind that the GuitarFest is coming up April 9-11. It would be great if you would come here once again for that. You could regale us with great stories and pictures about John's Excellent Adventure.
16th March 2010

Happy Birthday!
Hey, John! What a great birthday you must be having. Thanks for sharing your odyssey with us. The photos are wonderful. Even I might be willing to get up early to see some of those sights at sunrise. Lee and I thought of you the other night when we watched a documentary on traditional Irish music and learned that Irish folk musicians, especially the McPeake Family and the Clancy Brothers, were some of the earliest influences on Bob Dylan. Happy trails and sails to you! Joann
17th March 2010

Hi John, are you in the jungles now? Hope you get to see lots of interesting animals--watch out for those black lepards (remember the lepard running along side of dads jeep?!) I read your entries to dad tonight and he had fun traveling through india with you, revisiting some of the sites he must have seen long ago--great stories... a very happy birthday to you, celebrate it to the full! "Thanks so much for sharing the terrific pictures and all the other stories. Hope you have a wonderful birthday. God bless you, love, Dad."
7th August 2010

dear john, seems like you had a great time in nepal . it was fun going through your experience.actually when's your birthday?

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb