Day 175: Boracay


Advertisement
Asia
March 10th 2010
Published: March 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Boracay was our last stop of our 6 month journey. AAAAUUGGHHHH! I still can't believe how fast this trip went.

Boracay is an island that is home to a beautiful 2 km stretch of white sand - and is also the most popular and overdeveloped tourist area in the Philippines. Still, it's pros outweighed the cons for us. As long as you don't mind saying "no" to hundreds of touts a day, the beach really is top notch. That is, as long as you don't mind wading through a few feet of green slime on your way out into the ocean - that was a little weird.

Our plan was to do nothing for the 4 days we were there, and I think we executed the plan nicely. Just hanging out at the beach, swimming (past the slime), reading, playing cards, eating at a different restaurant for every meal. A good way to wrap up the trip.

One funny thing is that I ran into my brazilian kiteboard instructor that I took the course with in vietnam. I had also seen him in Donsol, in a different group of whale sharkers. Small world. He was happy to see me again because he wanted me to send him whale shark pictures.

There are definitely some interesting things about in boracay... Every day a bunch of resorts make a custom sand castle, which his pretty cool to watch happen. There is a restaurant called "Hobbit House", whose staff is comprised of small people (midgets). There's tons of henna tatoo places, so Steph got a henna tatoo of all the countries we visited this trip. Oh, and you can get a picture with a tiger and a guy painted entirely blue. The next night he was red.

We left boracay earlier today, a bit sad that our trip is at an end but also excited to see friends and family. We're in Manila once again, pulling an all-nighter at an internet cafe since our flight is in the early morning.

So that's all folks, until next time! Here's some final pictures:

















Advertisement



11th March 2010

Your 1st post
Have followed your trip from start to the end and enjoyed your posts. If you were to look at your list of all the stuff you took along with you, What stuff did you find that you could delete.... I know that we always pack more than we could ever use...
7th June 2010

Loved Your Blog
Thanks for a well-written series of articles. A rarity these days. I am heading to the Philippines for a four month trip in January. Regarding costs for lodging and food: Were they higher or lower than your expectations? How did they compare to the costs in Vietnam? Thanks for your help and by the way, the photos were wonderful. You either have talent or you have mastered Adobe PhotoShop. In either case, it's all good. Mike Richards Florida

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb