My day in the sun


Advertisement
Asia
November 17th 2008
Published: November 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sophat took me to his sisters bakery early this morning as usual. It was full of men sitting, drinking coffee, eating rice and watching one of three televisions, as usual. In one corner there's karaoke, or girls (often Thai)looking good but dancing badly while singing pop songs with helium inhaled voices. In the middle of the cafe it's boxing or a macho movie and perhaps a soppy love tragedy soap opera on the third. About twice a day, 15 minutes of pornography is offered to all and admittedly I would actually be embarrased to be present at this time, despite my curiosity to see what's popular. Apparently it's standing room only, with a look-out guy for the Police and makes for a smart business move to be recommended to the Stung Treng family cafe. I'm sure Grandma and the children would approve!

Their shop is even more popular these days because people come from kilometers around for the chance to see the famous Barang (me) who likes to dance to the music, talk with everyone and make them laugh. For many Iit's their first upclose encounter with this third kind, and all I can hope is that I'm not doing my species too great a diservice, and that rather than staring in at the Khmer as if through the bars of a cage, they will learn that some of us want to get to know them and give them the opportunity to know us in return.

By way of financial assistance, I've offered to help them establish the first cafe to have a white woman dancing on the tables for Khmer men, but am concerned that my age could be a problem?
"Hell no! What am I waiting for?". They may have to let me go when this becomes a destination for the young western females bent on getting drunk and partying. A long way in te future perhaps, but it might yet happen. Until then my new job's secure for now!

God, I'm so relieved. Relieved that I had a clean pair of jeans to wear to court, relieved that the judge looked intelligent and competent, relieved that I could follow the talking and answer in Khmer when needed and even relieved to know that justice is more likely to be served to the side who can pay to see it done. If this was a case against a wealthy, well known resident of this province, I wouldn't stand a chance!

So the "invite" will be issued to my ex-contractor to appear at the court and respond to the charges in the face of the evidence we have presented. If unable to refute the charges he must come up with the money, or a way to repay that's acceptable to the Accardo Corporation (me) ...or go to jail.

It's been requested that I stay in Banlung for the outcome (they are aware that I will pay to have this made a priority case and already the police have gone to find my man 'Mr Iang', which naturally takes tea money for the time spent out of their hammock, petrol for their bikes, candy for their girlfriends .........).

've been granted permission to travel to Mondulkiri and back (better make sure we DO complete this trek in two days!) to safely escort the two American tourists Jennifer and Erin/Aaron. Perhaps my flight home may need to be postponed if this does drag on (if Mr Iang tries to flee to another province, they have to chase him down to bring him in). I want justice, not money, although both would be nice, and I'm willing to pay for it (what an oxymoron)!

Now I get my day in the sun, by the pool here in beautiful Terres Rouges. Except it looks as if the heavens will drop (this would make conditions awful for tomorrow's trip), which won't stop me from swimming and enjoying this longed for time to myself. I've even bought a bikini from Sivut here at the lodge, the first Khmer garment to fit. It's just my size ...breastless.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb