Where have all the dollars gone?


Advertisement
Asia
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Where have all the dollars gone?

(to the tune of the 60's protest song.
BTW, that rhymed....in both languages....English and American!)

I'm going to request that my sister, Sarah, dust off those Graphic Design skills and dash off a couple of story boards for me.

High illiteracy rates mean that information is best comminicated through pictures. The fact that it's the US bank that owns everything we supposedly "have" is not a message easily believed by the people here, and I need a visual aid to help me explain!

As I turn every corner, there's another hand begging for the small money that would pay for the Police and courts to do the job they should be doing anyway, to buy a sack of rice for an abandoned wife and her children, to pay the debts left by the missing husband, to buy an old bike to take produce 15km to the market, to provide the awning that will protect the new house from being flooded when it rains, for the $800 extra dollars because inflation affected the price of materials, for the $3000 to buy a replacment bike for me because mine was pawned then illegally sold off ......to a Policeman!

Oh, the cyclical nature of life has been perfected here, which maybe why they're Buddhist, or could it be because of Buddhism?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0938s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb