A day about the town


Advertisement
Asia
March 21st 2008
Published: March 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was one of our best days yet. We got to spend time with our friend and tour guide Ti -- and he brought along his very funny and sweet sister-in-law Chi. We went to the government-run dental practice. I'll let David do the talking....

(Dave speaking) It was a very quick tour, as I'm not sure how receptive they were to a foreign student sitting in on things. I kept my distance to say the least. The neatest concept was that every specialty was housed in one big building; from simple cleanings to implants, you could get it all under one roof. It was fun to see how the patients would leave their shoes outside the doorway; sitting on the chairs with bare feet! To add, each room shared five chairs, except for the VIP room, which was for foreigners and important statesmen. I have a feeling getting treatment in one of these rooms is much more expensive. On the whole, however, dental care in Vietnam is much cheaper than in the states, so anyone Vietnamese living in the U.S. will wait until they come home to see the dentist. As a token of gratitude, I offered two Ohio State scrub tops to the people who gave me the tour; who knows if they'll ever wear them!! (Back to Tracy...)

After the dental practice, we went to an orphange run by Buddhist Nuns... loosely translated the place is called the Enlightenment of Kindness. The kids were playing in the courtyard -- and they loved receiving the soccer balls we brought. William got in on the action -- was smoked a few times by a guy his age with some serious moves. Helen passed out candies to the kids. One little guy in particular enjoyed the chocolate. We ate a vegetarian lunch in a restaurant run by the orphanage -- it is one of the ways the place makes money to maintain itself -- as it does not receive any government funds. The Nun in charge ate with us... she says that kids typically stay there until they are grown and are not adopted out. Government-run orphanages mainly handle adoptions. So she is the "Mom" for 130 kids according to Ti. The kids had to go to school -- so we left after we ate lunch. Both of my kids were sad to leave -- Helen wanted to hold the smaller kids -- Will wanted to play more soccer.

Ti took us to his home -- we were honored that he would share this experience with us. He said "it is the strangest house you will ever see". We have passed by alleyways like his several times -- and have never headed back into them. The houses were all tall (each about 4 stories) -- and Ti's house was only about 4 feet wide and about 20 feet deep. It had 4 floors -- the steps were so steep -- to take up less floor space. Bedrooms were about the size of a twin bed. The first floor served as kitchen, dining room, and living room. Bedrooms and a bathroom were on the next 2 floors. The fourth floor had an altar to honor their ancestors and an open air space with a view of the street and rooftops. He says that at night they eat in the kitchen with the doors open -- and then the people in the neighborhood bring chairs outside to visit etc. Tight living quarters to say the least -- tight family and community relationships as well. Currently Ti lives with (we think) 3 other family members. His wife and daughter are staying with her family in the Mekong Delta while he is up here to work.

Later in the evening we met up with Neo's family (Neo was a student assigned to us in an International Friends program through the College of Wooster about 7 years ago. He became like family to us.) His brother Viet came to meet us at the hotel -- and then we took a taxi to a wonderful old house and restaurant to meet Neo's parents for the first time. They speak no English and we speak no Vietnamese -- so poor Viet had his work cut out for him... but wow, did we have fun. Neo's Mom kept doting over Helen (the Mom of 4 boys -- she seemed to enjoy the pink side of things). Such an amazing thing how people can find a way to communicate with kids without using words. We talked politics, history, music, diet etc etc. We had wonderful food -- from the Central "royal" Vietnamese tradition. Neo's Dad loved to explain how to eat a dish by mixing the foods properly for balance (i.e. adding mint leaves and lettuce to spring rolls). We went back to their home -- a much wider and updated version of the Vietnamese home we saw earlier today. We had sparkling red wine and fruit -- while the kids slept in reclining chairs. I think we could have talked all night. In the end, we both expressed the joy and good fortune of having our lives merge. Who would've guessed 7 years ago when we first met Neo at a college-sponsored picnic that we would be sitting in his home one day -- 1/2 way around the world drinking wine and eating rambutan "hairy cherries".

Tracy


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Ti, Chi and WeTi, Chi and We
Ti, Chi and We

Front entry-way to house
Neo's FamilyNeo's Family
Neo's Family

inside the restaurant -- that's George Bush's picture on the wall in the background. He came to eat at this same restaurant.


21st March 2008

Your blog is great .We wish we were back in Vietnam with you.
21st March 2008

The Blog
We are all enjoying the blog! We have been missing Helen at school! What a wonderful trip you are having!
21st March 2008

Glad you had a great day and met some nice people in addition to my family...I am imagining Will playing soccer with Vietnamese kids. That is so cool. Kids are so great, since they can make friends and like people genuinely. I hope my dad wasn't too grumpy as a host - now you know where my grumpiness comes from...hee hee...
21st March 2008

you don't realize how much we look forward to reading about all of you experiences. You make this trip of a lifetime seem so close to home. I think David leaves soon for home and the rest of the gang leaves for HCMC soon. Safe travels to everyone. i can't wait to see the pictures of the school dedication! (by the way-it is 25 degrees and cold here-please bring back some sun!! :)
21st March 2008

Thanh -- we get to see you soon -- don't we? I feel like you are here -- I hear about Madame Thanh, Aunt Thanh, Dr. Thanh frequently. You have thought of everything.
21st March 2008

Hi Neo!!
Your Dad was not grumpy in the slightest -- Will on the other hand -- well, you know Will... Anyway -- it was so incredibly cool to meet them, to be in your home, to hang with Viet. We actually just spent this whole day with him -- Zoo, Karaoke, coffee shop (your favorite I hear -- it was beautiful!) and then water puppets. He and David are out right now on Viet's motorbike -- yikes! We wish you were here!!
21st March 2008

Keep it coming!
Dear Hoags - all of us at hospice are totally enjoying your blog. Keep it coming... we appreciate so much you taking the time to carry us with you on this chance of a lifetime adventure. How precious to have such wonderful time with Neo's family. It made me very homesick for our sweet Tang from Thailand. I am amazed by your generosity in taking the time and energy to prepare this for us. Beki
21st March 2008

Hello Lizzy
I agree -- doing the blog makes everyone at home seem close to us as well... a weird sensation for sure. David is out right now with our friend Viet riding around town on a motorbike to get the last drip out of HCMC before leaving tomorrow. I can't believe he's leaving -- I'm going to miss him. We'll be in touch!
21st March 2008

Thank you
Thank you for sharing all these wonderful, funny and heart-warming experiences with us. Each day I look forward to seeing pictures of you and where you have been. What an awesome family you are - "I'm so lucky" !!! Happy Easter from here and lots of hugs and love from me. XOXOXOXO Mom
21st March 2008

Looks like fun
It looks like you guys are havin an awesome time! Thats too funny that Will got whipped on by some kid who didnt have any shoes and I imagine didnt have a soccer ball either, well he needed to learn that if he wants to take his game international then he is going to have to step up his skills! Besides that keep enjoying it while you can and dont forget to try the different foods thu suggested!
21st March 2008

Wow, you had so many adventures in one day! That "skinny" house is amazing. I'm glad you got to go out to dinner with Neo's family. I completely agree that his mom would be delighted to play host to a little girl after years of all boys! And the thought of Will hosting the international soccer goodwill games made me smile.
21st March 2008

The pictures are great. I can totally see Will and Helen loving the orphanage. Did it break your heart? 130 children, I would have adopted a few right on the spot. Like everyone else we love the detail of your blog. David- safe travels. Tracy- safe vacationing. It seems you are well taken care of. Everyday makes me wish I were there with you!
23rd March 2008

Amazing!
Can't express how much I am enjoying the details of your travels. Pieter has said many times that he would like to return for a visit and I have to say you have made it seem almost like something I might consider doing! Safe travels to you, and keep us posted on the adventure.
23rd March 2008

I've noticed there was no blog entry regarding the flight over! I hope everyone survived. Thanks for sharing your incredible vacation with us. I love finding a new journal entry in my in-box. Gosh, my business trip to Omaha this past week sure does pale in comparison.... HA! Best wishes for continued fun. Safe travels to you all.....
29th March 2008

Hope You Are Having Fun!
Thanks for sending these great photos. We anxiously await everyday to see more exciting things! So proud of our cousins for what they are doing! Keep up the great work! Love Sarah and Kristina

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb