Mui Ne Beach and Sand Dunes


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
March 7th 2011
Published: March 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The bus to Mui Né was the best yet, we had beds which were unnecessary in the morning but much appreciated. Spoke to an Aussie guy who was just doing two weeks in Vietnam then going home. It must be good for them to have such a good and cheap destination relatively close. Apparently it's common for Aussies to come over here and spend thousands on clothes for the next few years in one trip. We found a guesthouse straight away next to the beach and got some lunch in a posh beach bar. Met some English guy and kiwi girl on their honeymoon, 3 weeks of kite surfing! How modern. There was a lot of kite surfing going on and a windsurfing championships which was postponed from lack of wind, it felt windy enough to me. The waves were also pretty decent sized although not good enough for a surf resort. Still good for chucking yourself about. We spent the rest of the day on the beach before going out. The nightlife was pretty disappointing for a beach resort. There were loads of places but they were all empty giving it a bit of a ghost town feel. Maybe it's too high-end so people stay in their hotels or it's just low season. A lot of restaurants have signs in Russian so it must be pretty popular with them but they must've been getting smashed in their rooms. We eventually found a place with some fire spinning an had a few drinks but there was no atmosphere unlike in Thailand. The next day we went on a 4x4 tour with a few stops around Mui Né. I say tour, a bloke drove around but seemed a bit pissed off even when we asked him the tough question of how long we had before we had to move on. The 'tour' included the 'fairy stream' which you wade down with a sand dune next to it and kids trying to give you a tour, a fishing village with hundreds of boats moored out at sea and people in cone hats sifting through shellfish and then stops at two different sets of sand dunes, white and red. The first set was the most impressive, it looked like something from Lawrence of Arabia and we had a go at sand sledging on bits of plastic. I had one half decent run but the rest of the times I just sank into the sand arse first. Weirdly at the dunes and the fairy stream there were separate ostrich riding centres. No idea why, didn't think Vietnam even had Ostriches. After being battered by wind and sand I needed an evening swim but we were ready to move onto Dalat in the mountains the next day. By the way I've now added photos from Delhi and Jaipur so they're just in with the text on those blogs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



12th March 2011

Hi Michael and Haley it sounds like you are a having wonderful time. Enjoy yourselves. We are yet again covered in lots of white fluffy stuff (more bleedin snow) in March! Can't believe it Rocco likes it though. Stay well and safe lots of love susan x

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb