HAPPY THANKSGIVING


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 27th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Family, friends and fellow travelers,
We would like to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Many of you have expressed concern because I have been falling behind in updating the blog. We are thankful to have friends and family who are concerned about us—it means the world to us.

We are presently in Ho Chi Min City (Saigon). We arrived yesterday and will be heading out tomorrow to go to Cambodia.

Rest assured that we have been having a great time since our last update. I am working on getting the blog up to date so be prepared for some back to back updates as I bring this up to date.

I think Thanksgiving is an appropriate occasion to let everyone know that we are so thankful to have family and true friends in our lives today. Family and friends are everything to us. Although we may not stay in touch like we ought to, we think about everyone all of the time.

We are extremely thankful for our health and the ability to live the dreams we share. We have been really blessed to have the opportunity to explore this great world, experience different cultures and meet new friends along the way. This experience has really enriched our lives far beyond anything we could have imagined.
We encourage each of you to take a few moments to reflect upon those things in live you are thankful for today. Unfortunately, today we will not be sitting around with family or friends sharing a turkey dinner. Wow—I sure would love to have some leftover turkey sandwiches about right now.

Please take a few moments today to think about those proud, brave men and women who are serving our great nation. We are thankful to have comrades who continue to sacrifice to preserve our way of live. A special note to our friend Alan. Thank you for continuing to serve. Alan has just been deployed to Iraq again. Be safe my friend, we are thinking about you. Denise, thank you for continuing to sacrifice while Alan is away.

Lynne and I would like to announce that we will be returning to the States much earlier that we had planned. We will be returning to the States in early January and will be in Florida in February for the births of our two newest grandchildren. Katrina will have a baby boy due on 21 February and Daniel will have a baby girl due on the 27th. We will be there for these special family occasions.

In the last month, we have been exploring Vietnam. We have experienced some really magical moments in the last month, but let me tell you—this country will wear you down. I’ll explain this in more detail as I update the blog.

So, what does the immediate future hold for us? As stated above, we head into Cambodia in the morning. We will go by boat up the Mekong Delta and spend some time in Cambodia. We have not spoiled ourselves on this trip in a long time so we will spend some time at a resort on the beach. From Cambodia, we will head back to Thailand. We will spend about three weeks on the Island of Ko Chang. We will do absolutely nothing on Ko Chang except chill out on the beach and relax. This will give us the opportunity to reflect upon our entire trip. It’s funny, but looking back to the 6th of June, it seems like so long ago.
Our game plan right now is to fly out of Bangkok on the 7th of January. As of today, all air travel out of Thailand is canceled due to the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) taking over the airports. We are both confident that things will settle down before we depart from Bangkok, but we will be monitoring this situation very closely and will adjust accordingly. Please understand that we are acutely aware of current world situations but we will not put ourselves in harm’s way for the sake of travel or adventure. Thanks to all who have expressed concerned about this.

Please stay tunes for our next series of updates from the road.





Advertisement



27th November 2008

Hey guys! Just a quick note- Ally and I went to Ko Chang and had a really great time. You should definitely go to Lonely Beach. Its a big sandy beach with a resort on it, and slightly cheaper bungalows further down the beach. We liked Sunset Huts or the Treehouse. Have a great time and happy thanksgiving! -sara (from jungle trek)
27th November 2008

happy thanksgiving
Hey Dad and Lynne I just wanted to take a minute and say Happy Thanksgiving. Yum these turkey sandwiches are so good you don't know what your missing dad! Miss you both. be safe. love you cant wait to see you Love Jackie
27th November 2008

Ko Chang
Sara, It is so great to hear from you. Please pass on our greetings to Ally and Elizabeth. We are staying a little further south than lonely beach. We booked in for 3 weeks. If we make it out to Cali when we return to the States, we will look you guys up.
27th November 2008

Turkey Sandwiches
Jackie, Save me a couple of sandwiches--Oh and don't forget the Miracle Whip. Love Ya Dad and Lynne
28th November 2008

Happy Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving to you both and all who read this...OK I know it is a day late...but like so many years before, I worked yesterday (Thanksgiving Day). So it has been our family tradition for the last 10 years or so celebrate the day after. Friends and family will be gather tonight to eat TURKEY!!! John this is the one time a year I actually eat meat...LOL...and I may even do the turkey sandwich on Wonder bread with miracle whip....yum...doesn`t that make your mouth water....travel safe my friends!
28th November 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!
Glad to hear something from you...seems like a long time since we've had any updates. We are finally together over the holidays, (Alan didn't deploy) I'll email you about it. Take care of yourselves! Miss you both!
29th November 2008

Happy Holiday
Denise and Alan, I'll be looking for the e-mail. Glad you both are together for the holidays
29th November 2008

Holiday Sacrifice
Dan, I'm sure you really put on a great spread for the troops. I know working every Thanksgiving and Christmas is a routine for you guys--Thanks for thanking cre of the troops like you do. Now as far as the turkey sanwich with miracle whip on wonder bread--now that was a low blow, but I hope you enjoyed it.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb