Good morning Vietnam!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
June 6th 2007
Published: June 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Phnom Pehn - Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)

Arrival in Vietnam

Cu Chi Tunnels Cu Chi Tunnels Cu Chi Tunnels

They have enlarged them for us tourists as you can see!

Phnom Pehn - Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)
Jason & Kirstyn O
Caught an early bus from Phnom Pehn to cross the very flash border into Vietnam. Stayed in Ho Chi Minh City for a few days getting used to a new country and enjoying yet another new beer(s) and delicious new foods.

From Ho Chi Minh we visited the famous Cu Chi tunnels which was an elaborate system of underground networks built by hand by the Viet Cong during the Vietnam war. They were actually started earlier when the French had control of the country by the local villages but became a necessity when the western armies started bombing the shit out of the countryside and killing off the vegetation with pesticides and agent orange. Declined yet another offer to shoot an AK47 here but enjoyed the realistic atmosphere the sound of guns in the distance provide while exploring the tunnels and bunkers.

Visited a very interesting war museum in Ho Chi Minh which was a little one-sided (understandably) but very very informative. The Vietnamese are still very openly angry at the American government for their involvement in their own civil war and many will tell you that they are waiting patiently for the day when America apologises....especially for the whole agent orange thing which is evident still now in many of the newer generations of Vietnamese. We hadn't really known a lot about the genetic mutations that this causes but have seen and met many people with either limbs missing, malformed, paralysed or weak. They see Australians more as puppets in the whole situation.

On a brighter note, we did quite a bit of shopping in the local market, getting some very cheap "Diesel" (??) jeans (3 for $40), some t shirts and casual shoes in preparation for our UK adventure.

We also visited the Reunification Palace which was suprisingly interesting and is now part museum but still used for diplomatic relations and some government use. It even included a very bizarre bunker, decked out 70's style with huge old radios, maps etc. Felt very much like Control in "Get Smart."

We caught up with Andy and Nicola again on our last night when they arrived after tripping over to Siem Reap. Our next stop, Mui Nei.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

View from reunification palaceView from reunification palace
View from reunification palace

This is where the Viet Cong tanks rolled in to take control and place their flag on the roof in 1975...
Real coffeeReal coffee
Real coffee

MMMMMM....
goorne!goorne!
goorne!

Hiding out at Cu Chi Tunnels
Rice paperRice paper
Rice paper

So THAT'S how it's made...
Snake whiskeySnake whiskey
Snake whiskey

Apparently cures back pain...mmmmm


Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 101; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb