LIFESTART FOUNDATION OUTREACH PROJECTS


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
June 8th 2014
Published: June 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

At the beginning of 2013, Lifestart Foundation expanded their services to a government run shelter for disabled adults. Home to approximately 150 residents over the age of 16, the shelter provides a place to live for those whose disabilities have left them with nothing. The shelter sits within a walled complex, where residents share numerous cramped, bare walled rooms, sleep on low hard beds (normal for Vietnam) and wash in several large communal bathrooms.

Most are unable to leave the grounds of the only place they will know until they die. Its easy for a place like this to be viewed negatively and understandably so if you focus on the bare rooms and lack of personal belongings alongside the sight of young adults bed bound by their disabilities, lying in rooms with a stench of urine hanging in the air, simply too much for some to bare.

However, if you scratch below the surface whilst opening your heart and mind, you’re likely to be surprised by what you find. Despite the many difficulties faced here, the community spirit within the shelter is both inspirational and heart warming.

READ THE FULL STORY >




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb