Hoi An, Vietnam: where slow paced living and fast paced motorbiking go hand-in-hand.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
July 26th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hoi An is a beautiful, slow-paced, beachy town filled with candle lantern, french architecture, rich food and soft white sand. It has such a relaxing, comfortable feel to it that it is easy to forget you are traveling and even easier to imagine never leaving. On our first day me and Nate decided to rent bicycles and cycle down to the beach (about 3 km away). It was so peaceful and beautiful. The streets were filled with bicyclists, both foreign and local and everyone seemed to have a smile on their faces. How could you not in a place so quite and refreshing?

Once we arrived at the beach, we were both astounded at its beauty. The water was crystal clear, the sand was soft and white, people of all shapes and sizes were stretched out onto their beach towels or under umbrellas. There were beach peddlers walking around selling fresh mangos and pineapple. It was like a tropical dream come true.

Besides its glorious beaches, Hoi an is also known for it's impeccable (and cheap) tailors. About half of the shops in the city are resident tailors who can whip you up a suit or gown in a matter of hours. I had already gotten suits made in China (how very adult of me...) so we didn't use any of these services but they were all over the place!

At night the town came alive with glowing lanterns floating down rives and lighting up beautiful stone bridges. We met many backpackers at local bars and everyone was just as delighted as we were at this town.

The next day we rented a motorbike (because when in Vietnam, right?). I absolutely hate driving and hate using any type of motorized vehicle unless I have to so Nate did all the driving. We felt very vietnamese with our helmets strapped tight and our fingers on the horn. Since we rented it later in the day (around 1 pm) we didn't have to return it until 3 pm the next day so we did a lot of driving around town and took it up and down the coast. Pretty good deal for only $5, right?

So Hoi An was a peaceful, slow-paced (dare I say Laotian time?) escape from reality but after three full days we were itching to move on.



Our next stop? Nha
Pictures donPictures donPictures don

The streets were filled with lanterns!
Trang, Vietnam the beach capital of Vietnam!



Until then may you all hold the slow pace of Hoi An in your mind amongst the chaos of everyday life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



29th July 2012

HOI AN
Appears you are having a ball...keep safe...and keep up the good times.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb