Day 41: Hoi An, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
March 10th 2009
Published: March 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, March 8th


We rented bicycles and went to the beach! Oh, how wonderful to have our feet in the sand and the waves breaking nearby! The water was great but we hadn't taken our swemmies cause we had to go back to the hotel at 12 to move to another room. After a fruit shake and some lounging on the beach we cycled back to our hotel where we had a swim followed by some more lounging.

We are loving Vietnam! We're even getting used to the hooting. When we first arrived in Hanoi we weren't impressed with the noise and the chaos and how expensive everything was. But Hanoi is most certainly not a true reflection of Vietnam. Hué and Hoi An is the cheapest places we've traveled so far. Our current hotel is a mere US$12 per night for a triple room with air-con, cable TV, wi-fi and pool! The people here are ever so much friendlier as well, which is ultimately the most important.

The Vietnamese people are beautiful when they're young, characterful when they're old, and they work very, very hard (the women more than the men, it appears). If all South Africans worked as hard and long as the Vietnamese we'd be a nation with very little poverty. Also, they don't seem to differentiate between their life and their work. It's all one thing. Life is work and work is life and it all happens in groups or families.

We are also falling more and more in love with each other every day. We had a very strong love and bond before the trip, but over the last 41 days that love had grown and that bond had strengthened tremendously. We're not the same people that left South Africa. Who knows who we'll be by the end of our trip?

For lunch we went to Coco Restaurant. It's on the way to the beach and right next to the river, so close you can see the little fish swimming near the riverbank. Here we had THE BEST noodle, scratch that, THE BEST FOOD of the trip! We never wanted it to end! It was truly unbelievable!

At the beach once more, this time armed with our full beach kit, we swam in the warm South China Sea and laid around on the beach for a few hours.

This
Hoi An beachHoi An beachHoi An beach

on the beach at last!
is a very nice place to be!

On the way back we picked up Talita's sandals. They fit perfectly and are quite beautiful.

Today's highlights:
1. Lounging on the beach for the first time in our trip.
2. The BEST FOOD at Coco Restaurant.
3. Getting Talita's sandals.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hoi An beachHoi An beach
Hoi An beach

getting haggled
Coco RestaurantCoco Restaurant
Coco Restaurant

great sauteed egg noodle mmmmmm...
Shoe-maker-ladyShoe-maker-lady
Shoe-maker-lady

made me some shoes


13th March 2009

hotel hoi an
Hi guys can you tell me the name of the hotel in Hoi Ann as we will be there in 5 weeks and it sounds good value. Also any others on your way up or down the coast thanks penny

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb