And we Arrive in Nha Trang


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Khanh Hoa » Nha Trang
June 9th 2011
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

You know how we thought our room was so great?? Tristans new quote " We are not staying in another guesthouse unless the bed sheet fits the bed." For 5 nights now we have struggled with sharing the top sheet as they've put a double sheet on a queen size bed. Turning it the other way doesn't help because Tristans feet stick out. So it was a toss and turny night with a creaky bed.

Tris woke up and went out to get the bikes ready to go. He went to the shop to get a mirror put on his bike. Again he was treated like a King and offered drinks (which he thinks was originally the man's), and a seat. The guy asked for Tris to write down his name and Vietnamese phone #. He explained we are leaving to Nha Trang today.. so we'll see if he gets a call.

The ride to Nha Trang was nice. We stopped 1/3 of the way for some drinks, and again 3/4 of the way for some lunch at a roadside stand. They were thrilled to have us. I had a Vietnamese sub, Tris had a soup. Then they gave us some fruit that looked like an unripe mango and tasted really sour. Then they brought out mango fruit leather and offered us some. I really liked it so they told us to take it with us. Guess how much it all cost....$1.00US! SO CHEAP and SO YUMMY! They didn't rip us off at all. The food tasted awesome, the service was amazing, and they tried so hard to talk with us. Even the old lady who only spoke Vietnamese went on in Vietnamese to us. This is all the joy of riding bikes. The road side locals are so much fun.

We arrived in Nha Trang and followed the signs that said Beach. Little did we know there is a festival happening in a couple days so most hotels are fully booked. We drove around and asked at about 5 places, no one had rooms. We finally found one which was under construction who had rooms for $10 a night. We took a look and it was alright. We said okay, then realized there was more hotels down the alley. So I ran and quickly had a look. I ended up liking one of them better (room was bigger, cleaner, fridge etc) so we changed our minds and left. The lady was pretty mad. Oh well! Her hotel smelled like paint and drywall dust.

I just read an article about the Sea Festival saying, "the Nha Trang government has requested the owners of hotels not to overcharge the customers more than 50% of regular price."

So the fact that we are paying $12 for a okay room isn't bad.

We had lunch at a burger joint owned by a Vietnamese man who worked in Texas for 26 years. He's worked at Jack in the Box, Carl Jr's and a few other known places. His burgers were pretty damn good!

We went for a walk by the beach after. Everything is getting set up for the festival. Floats are being built, people are practising dance routines and people are everywhere. We watched a professional game for a little bit. The game like volleyball but where they kick and head the ball instead. The final is tomorrow at 3pm a local told us. Tris got a haircut and shave on the sidewalk for $3 then we headed back to our room.

We had a missed call on the cell so Tris called the number back. It was buddy from the bike shop in Phan Rang asking if we were free tonight. A part of us wish we stayed because I'm sure they would've invited us to their home or out for drinks - a real local experience. He seemed dissapointed when we said we are in Nha Trang now. If we weren't 120 kms away we'd go back! Hopefully another opportunity arrives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Blue was winningBlue was winning
Blue was winning

Blue hit it with his head
Flower bikesFlower bikes
Flower bikes

Probably for festival
Tris getting haircutTris getting haircut
Tris getting haircut

Look how long his beard is


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb