BICYCLES FOR MANY


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » South Central Coast » Quảng Nam » Hoi An
November 7th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

THANH, NO & TRANGTHANH, NO & TRANGTHANH, NO & TRANG

No family sedan here........nevertheless Thanh and No are thrilled with their new bicycle which helps them get to work. Baby Trang sits in a little seat at the front of the bike.
Lifestart Foundation purchases bicycles for disadvantaged families and students in Vietnam.

School and work are more often than not a long way from home for families supported by Lifestart. Many school children travel a long distance to attend school. Those who are poor and without may, at times, be able to hitch a ride with a friend ... if they are lucky.The unlucky ones will walk many kilometers to and from school every day.

In addition to relieving school children of their long walk, families for whom a bicycle is purchased will often use it to get to the market to buy rice and food. For Lifestart-supported families, a refrigerator is a luxury item. I know we consider refrigerators to be necessities in our homes, but having a refrigerator would truly be a luxury for many of these people. Because refrigerators are expensive, as is electricity, it is unlikely that any of these families will ever own a refrigerator. Instead of refrigerated and stored food, daily supplies are purchased at the local market; fish are caught fresh from the river -- in some respects, healthier than our packaged, frozen and processed alternatives…

A bicycle also enables parents to
LUANLUANLUAN

Luan waits patiently for the adjustments to be made to her new bike. Luan works during the day and attends Lifestart Foundation Free School at night. She lives on a tiny boat on the river and stores her bike at a friends in the evening.
travel to work. Many parents need to look far from their immediate surroundings in order to get work, making the acquisition of a bicycle a very valuable and appreciated gift.


Good-quality bicycles are purchased new with a guarantee, basket and lock. The cost ranges from $60 to $100 aud. As you can imagine, all of the families are very grateful when they receive a means of transportation.

Lots of Love from
Karen
www.lifestartfoundation.org.au

HERE ARE A FEW OF THE RECIPIENTS OF BICYLES FROM LIFESTART FOUNDATION.
If time permitted I would write a blog on each and everyone of them as they all have extremely difficult lives and a story worth telling.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

PHUONGPHUONG
PHUONG

After being abandoned by her parents Phuong lives with her aunt on a small boat on the river . She uses her bike to get to work and school. At night she leaves her bike at a friends house. Phuong attends Lifestart Foundation Free School in the evening.
SONSON
SON

Son is a dilligent student. He uses his bike to get to school and extra classes everyday. He lives alone with his mother as his father is permanetly hospitalised. Son also attends Lifestart Foundation Free school in the evenings.
TOAN & THANHTOAN & THANH
TOAN & THANH

Both girls have completed traineeships and are now gainfully employed. They also attend Lifestart Foundation Free Schoo at night
DUOC & BINHDUOC & BINH
DUOC & BINH

Duoc uses her bike to go to work and to take Binh to school.
THUYTHUY
THUY

Thuy comes from an island along way from Hoi An, she uses her bike to get to work and on rare occasions a visit home to see her mother on the island
HUNG HUNG
HUNG

Hung is a widower with a young son named Lit. Their bike is used to take Lit to school and Hung to work.
VINHVINH
VINH

Vinh is an excellent student who is in year eleven, he uses his bike to get to school and to extra classes that Lifestart is supporting him with. At night Vinh also attends Lifestart Foundation Free School
VIVI
VI

Vi works at the Lifestart Foundation Free School during the day. In the evenings Vi attends classes at Lifestart Foundation Free School. She uses her bike to get to work and to her classes.
DUNG & HAIDUNG & HAI
DUNG & HAI

Mother and son. Their life is not an easy one. Dung cannot speak , her son Hai has fashioned his own style of sign language to help him communicate with his mum.
HAIHAI
HAI

Hai uses his bike to get to school.
QUANQUAN
QUAN

Quan lives on a small boat with his mother, he will use his bike to get to work as a painter
Lifestart BycyclesLifestart Bycycles
Lifestart Bycycles

Karen shopping for bicycles in Hoi An.
LANLAN
LAN

Five members in the one family will use this bike to get to work and school.
GAIGAI
GAI

Gai uses her new bike to get to her traineeship as a hairdresser / beautician. In the evenings Gai attends Lifestart Foundation Free School.
SANGSANG
SANG

Sang uses her bike to get to work during the day and Lifestart Foundation Free School at night. Sang's mother has died and her father is ill.
DAODAO
DAO

Dao has completed her training and now uses her bike to get to work at Hai's Scout Cafe/ Restaurant in Hoi An. Dao's mother has also died and her family is in the mountains. In the evening she attends Lifestart Foundation Free School with her sister Luu.


11th November 2007

Again Karen, I don't know what to say. You are one of a kind. Keep the hard work and the spirit, you are making such a difference to a lot of people's lives. And it does take a special person to achieve what you have achieved so far. I only wish there were more people like you around who will get of their comfort zone and help the underpriviledged. I wish you all the best and great health. Eva

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb