My guts are about to explode


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
January 14th 2007
Published: January 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Making banh cuonMaking banh cuonMaking banh cuon

Rice flour rolls filled with minced pork and mushrooms
Arrived in Hanoi and was immediately signed up by the hostel management on tours to Halong Bay and Sapa. No mucking about - just sign here, and pay up.

It's pretty easy to walk around Hanoi. Otherwise just hop on the back of a Honda motorbike. Visited Uncle Ho (looked very life-like, as if he was sleeping) and all the streets in the Old Quarter, and watched a water puppet show. Other than that I have been pigging out on whatever takes my fancy in the various street kitchens. Everything costs less than A$1.

Took a 3-day and 2-night trip to Halong Bay, with 1 night sleeping aboard a boat (look-a-like Chinese junk) and 1 night in a hotel on Cat Ba Island. Halong Bay was pretty nice; just like Guilin China on water. Cat Ba was so-so, but the National Park walk and kayaking to nearby islands was great fun. In hindsight it probably would have been better just to do the 2-day cruise.

Got back from Halong Bay, and then it was straight onto the overnight train to Lao Cai for my 3-day trip to visit the ethnic minority villages near Sapa.



Snack timeSnack timeSnack time

Finished product - yummy banh cuon














Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Pork noodles for mePork noodles for me
Pork noodles for me

Located on Bat Dan Street. Totally delicious.
Eel soupEel soup
Eel soup

Located at 87 Hang Dieu street. Looks really random, but ooh the flavour was fantastic. Kind of like shark fin soup.
Humble abodeHumble abode
Humble abode

Crowds lining up to visit Uncle Ho's house on stilts
The Ho-MobileThe Ho-Mobile
The Ho-Mobile

Check out this funky rustbucket, which was donated to Uncle Ho by the French Government.
Propaganda statuePropaganda statue
Propaganda statue

Communism is alive and kicking
Water puppetsWater puppets
Water puppets

This is a national institution. Very kitschy.
Halong BayHalong Bay
Halong Bay

View from the prow of the boat
Hang Sung SotHang Sung Sot
Hang Sung Sot

Also known as "Surprise Cave". The ceiling in this huge cavernous cave was amazing.
You buy from me?You buy from me?
You buy from me?

Hawker woman selling everything that anyone stuck on a boat could ever want. She was very handy when I felt like a beer whilst kayaking.


Tot: 0.487s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 30; qc: 157; dbt: 0.1715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb