Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
December 18th 2006
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ha Long Bay Boat tripHa Long Bay Boat tripHa Long Bay Boat trip

Honestly we didnt organise the pose
Our first stop in Vietnam was Hanoi where we barely stop to soak up the culture before we were off on a three day boat trip from Halong bay.

The first day consisted of chilling out on the top deck of our boat soaking up the sun and taking in some of the amazing views along with going for a swim and getting to know our 'new friends' for the next 3 days. A game of Paper, Scissors, Stone would decide who would spend the night with the know it all Canadian, unforntunately it was me who had to endure his crap. To cut a long story short the rest of the boat trip was made up of a visit to a couple of the 3000 islands that sit off Halong Bay along with Kayaking and a trip to monkey island. We also met a couple of australians who were a good laugh that we have been bumping into ever since.

Our trip to Hanoi would not have been complete without a trip to one of the local restaurants which is made up of what look like plastic chairs made for kids and an even smaller table all situated on the pavement. We tried the local food and beer but sadly had to go for another meal aftrewards!

Once we had enough of Hanoi and had seen most of the city we made our way south on the overnight train to Da Nang. We made a quick visit to China Beach famous during the Vietnam war for American Soldiers taking a break. Then we were off again further South to Hoi An.

Hoi An seemed to be in the middle of nowhere until we made it down to the riverside where there were loads of restaurants and the cheapest beer of the trip so far, 10p!! After hooking up with a group of people we took a motorbike ride to where we spent most of the night, in the Full Moon Club until the early hours of the morning. One more chilled out day in Hoi An and we were on the overnight coach to Nha Trang.

Nha Trang was more touristy and seemed more like the place you would go for a lads holiday than travelling too. We arrived in Nha Trang on the 22nd December and after a long and tiring coach ride our
Me and ChrisMe and ChrisMe and Chris

Up the tower on Cat Ba Island, scary stuff. The wood wasnt even bolted down
day consisted of an even longer time on the beach. The hotel was cheap and the food even cheaper, a three course seafood dinner for less than 3 pound!

Most of our time in Nha Trang was spent on the beach and in the bars/clubs and restaurants in the area. We played football against some local kids for the wager of buying some postcards off them, we lost. We never found the Christmas Turkey that we wanted soo much and had to make do with pizza and curry but it was nice all the same.

To make Christmas day that bit special we hired some motorbikes, not something you do every Christmas but its all we could think of. We had the intention of seeing the local waterfalls but after Chris got a flat tire offroading it was all a bit too late. An enjoyable day all the same.

On the 26th we caught the overnight train to Hoi Chi Minh City (Saigon) where we stayed for a short time before we had to leave to make it to Thailand for the New Years Eve Party. A local war museum gave an insight into the horrific American/Vietnam war and took up most of our afternoon.





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Our new roomOur new room
Our new room

6/10, bathroom stinks. Got away with a free day though!
Bit of local CuisineBit of local Cuisine
Bit of local Cuisine

Were on the pavement by the way
Local TransportLocal Transport
Local Transport

He did say he could take four!
Nite OutNite Out
Nite Out

Cool bar in Hoi An
Christmas SpiritChristmas Spirit
Christmas Spirit

Jon in Nha Trang
Friut LadyFriut Lady
Friut Lady

Nha Trang Beach


9th January 2007

you go Marc, watch out!!
Aaaa Monkey Island... was it like in the video game???? I´d love to go to Monkey Island, must be awsome!! Got to hear you are doing well! say hi to the crazy hoe on Da Nang St.!! ;)
19th January 2007

Tank
The tank on the right looks like it would be pretty useless in a battle

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb