Day 33: Halong Bay & Cat Ba Island, Vietnam


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hai Phong » Cat Ba Island
March 2nd 2009
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, Feb 28th


Talita woke with a bit of a sore throat. After breakfast we checked out of our cabin, said goodbye to our fellow passengers (they were going back to Hanoi) and got on a smaller boat to Cat Ba island an hour away. Cat Ba island is the biggest and only inhabited island in Halong bay.

We hiked about 3km to a local village where we had lunch. We returned to the boat to go to another part of Cat Ba island for kayaking and then on to Cat Ba town where we would spend the night. However, our boat wouldn't start and we had to wait an hour for another boat to bring us a new battery. Off we went again!

Half an hour later we arrived in an area where we kayaked in the bay, just us two. It was great to paddle between the islands and into secluded bays. We returned to the boat and after another half hour we arrived at Cat Ba harbour. 20,000 people live here in town and on the water in floating houses. We checked into our hotel then went to the roof to drink some Vietnamese tea and enjoy the view of the harbour.

After dinner we enjoyed a movie in our room. It was awesome to just lie on the bed and veg.

Today's highlights:
1. Walking on Cat Ba island.
2. Kayaking on the quiet bay.
3. Enjoying Vietnamese tea and looking over the hundreds of boats in the bay.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rice paddiesRice paddies
Rice paddies

Cat Ba Island
Local water pipeLocal water pipe
Local water pipe

Cat Ba Island
Sjoe! Rustig baby!Sjoe! Rustig baby!
Sjoe! Rustig baby!

Talita almost tipped the kayak trying to take this picture!


2nd March 2009

awesome!!
Sounds like you guys are having an adventure of a life time!! And thanks so much for the updates, almost feels we are there with you - he he.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb