Where the French war ended


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Northwest » Dien Bien » Dien Bien Phu
June 30th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Điện Biên Phủ is a remote city inside the Mường Thanh valley in the north west of Vietnam, only 36.5km from the Lao border. The ethnic minority people living in this area are the Thai and H'mong. The city is famous for the site of the battle, where the French troops were defeated by Việt Minh (the League for the Independence of Vietnam - Việt Nam độc lập đồng minh hội) forces on 7 May 1954 after a 56-day siege, resulting in the end of the French rule in Vietnam (1858 - 1954) and its colonial control in Indochina.

To achieve this victory, the Viet Minh forces, under General Võ Nguyên Giáp, dug trenches and tunnels to reach the French positions without coming under fire. They also carried 105mm artillery pieces and anti-aircraft guns (pháo cao xạ) through jungles, across rivers, up and down passes and mountains, then emplaced them in secret positions overlooking the French positions. All 16,200 men of the French garrison were either killed or taken prisoner, while Vietnam's casualties were about 25,000.

The distance from Hanoi to Điện Biên Phủ is 420km and if you travel overland by car or bus, it often takes a
Me at the French headquartersMe at the French headquartersMe at the French headquarters

Former bunker headquarters of French Colonel De Castries in the center of Mường Thanh valley.
day and at some sections the passes are very high and dangerous. 7 years ago I flew to Điện Biên Phủ, but our plane couldn't land because of the fog. I even saw the city inside the valley below our plane, but we had to fly back to Hanoi. Some years later, the airport was improved, and at present, Vietnam Airlines runs daily flights between Hanoi and Điện Biên Phủ on ATR72.

The reason why I decided to attempt another flight to Điện Biên Phủ is that last Friday was my birthday and I wanted to go somewhere that was new, inexpensive and relaxing, especially after I rushed too much on my previous trips to southern Laos and Nepal. Also, in May this year we celebrated the 55th anniversary of Điện Biên Phủ victory, so I wanted to see some great monuments built at the site.

It was raining when our plane landed at Điện Biên Phủ airport. I hired a local motorbike driver and we went to the major sites of the former battlefield. The most famous site is the headquarters of the French commander, Colonel Christian De Castries, where Vietnam's flag was flying on its roof
Memoirs of warMemoirs of warMemoirs of war

The famous book is written by General Võ Nguyên Giáp and translated into English.
at 17:30 on 7 May 1954 and the Colonel had to surrender. Near this place, there are old French tanks, artillery pieces and a memorial to the 3,000 French troops. The white painted monument is placed inside a beautiful garden and it was built owing to the fund donated by the French veterans.

The next site I visited was A1 hill, where Vietnamese soldiers detonated 960kg of explosives to start a general attack on the battlefield. A1 hill was the most important defense hill for the French inside the Mường Thanh valley. There is a large hole on the hill formed by the explosives next to the French trenches. This hills also offers a good position to view different sides of the city. Next to the hill is the museum, which presents the incredible story of Vietnamese determination. I also went to the cemetery with more than 600 graves, most of which are anonymous.

D1 hill is located in the heart of the city. It witnessed more victories by Vietnamese soldiers. For this reason, it was chosen as the position for the 20-ton bronze statue of the Điện Biên Phủ victory. To see this statue, I had to
At Điện Biên Phủ museumAt Điện Biên Phủ museumAt Điện Biên Phủ museum

Statue of a Vietnamese soldier with flag "Determination to fight and win".
walk up over 300 steps to the top of the hill.

While most of the important sites, which were occupied by the French troops, are located near the center of the city, the Vietnamese headquarters is located inside Mường Phăng primitive forest, over 30km east of the city. A house made of bamboo and palm and tunnels where General Võ Nguyên Giáp used to live and command are still preserved. I didn't visit the site since it rained and the road is steep with many curves. The General is still alive, now he is 99 years old. He has published some famous books about his memoirs of war. He is loved by all Vietnamese and admired by foreigners as well.

This blog is not only about the famous place that I visited from 26 to 28 June 2009, but also about my birthday. The last birthday I was traveling in Sukhothai (Thailand). This year I decided to spend time in Vietnam. Even though it rained during the trip, I was happy as the plane could land and I met with many interesting people along the way.

Những ấn tượng về chuyến đi Điện Biên Phủ (tháng 6
Tank near the French headquartersTank near the French headquartersTank near the French headquarters

This tank was to defend the French headquarters (Xe tăng Ettlingen Chaffee 24 bảo vệ Sở chỉ huy tập đoàn cứ điểm Điện Biên Phủ, bị đạn pháo của Đại đoàn công pháo 351 bắn cháy vào hồi 16:30 ngày 7/5/1954.)
năm 2009)

Khi máy bay chuẩn bị hạ cánh xuống sân bay Điện Biên Phủ, tôi nhìn qua ô cửa sổ và thấy những đám mây trắng trôi bồng bềnh, những ngọn núi, những thửa ruộng bên dòng sông Nậm Rốm uốn lượn như dải lụa, những ngôi nhà nhỏ xíu và cuối cùng là đường băng dưới trời mưa. 7 năm trước tôi cũng bay lên Điện Biên, nhưng máy bay không hạ cánh được vì sương mù nên phải quay về Hà Nội. Lần này, nhân dịp kỷ niệm ngày sinh nhật, tôi quyết định làm một chuyến du lịch "ba lô bụi" trở lại thành phố nổi tiếng ở vùng Tây Bắc Việt Nam, nơi còn lưu giữ nhiều di tích lịch sử thời kháng chiến chống Pháp.

Tử sân bay vào trung tâm thành phố Điện Biên chỉ có 1km. Tất cả các công trình quan trọng cũng như di tích lịch sử đều nằm trong thung lũng Mường Thanh. Từ trung tâm thành phố đến cửa khẩu biên giới Lào chỉ có 36,5km. Bốn bề của thành phố là núi bao bọc với nhiều ngọn đồi ở phía đông và dòng sông Nậm Rốm cũng chảy qua vùng đất đai màu mỡ này. Các di tích nổi bật của chiến trường Điện Biên Phủ năm xưa là hầm chỉ huy của tướng De Castries, đồi A1, C1, C2, D1, cứ điểm Hồng Cúm, Him Lam, đồi Độc Lập, cầu và sân bay Mường Thanh. Tất cả các căn cứ này đều thuộc hệ thống phòng thủ của Pháp mà trong đó đồi cứ điểm A1 là nơi quan trọng nhất.

Tôi thuê xe ôm đi mất hơn nửa ngày đến thăm hầm của Đại tá tư lệnh pháo binh Pirote (nay chỉ còn đặt một khẩu súng trọng liên) ngay gần cầu Mường Thanh cũ, hầm của tướng De Castries, bãi pháo và chiếc xe tăng ở gần đó, cũng như Đài tưởng niệm binh sĩ Pháp do người Pháp quyên góp tiền xây dựng. Đài tưởng niệm này nằm trong một khuôn viên nhỏ rất thanh bình với cây cối xung quanh. Sau đó, tôi vào thăm nghĩa trang Điện Biên Phủ, nơi có hơn 600 ngôi mộ anh hùng, liệt sĩ mà phần lớn là vô danh, mặc dù trên tấm biển đồng lớn thì có tên của hầu hết
A souvenir A souvenir A souvenir

A hat similar to the one that Vietnamese soldiers wore during the French war.
các liệt sĩ đã hy sinh trong chiến dịch Điện Biên Phủ năm xưa. Gần đài tưởng niệm của nghĩa trang là 4 ngôi mộ ghi tên các anh hùng liệt sĩ Phan Đình Giót, Bế Văn Đàn, Tô Vĩnh Diện và Trần Can.

Đối diện với nghĩa trang là Viện bảo tàng chiến thắng lịch sử Điện Biên Phủ có trưng bày các loại vũ khí, những tấm ảnh đen trắng, cũng như hiện vật và sa bàn mô phỏng 3 giai đoạn tấn công của chiến dịch lịch sử kéo dài suốt 56 ngày. Ngay gần đó là đồi A1, nơi các chiến sĩ Việt Nam đã bí mật đào hầm tiếp cận căn cứ quân sự quan trọng của quân Pháp và cho nổ khối bộc phá 960 kg làm hiệu lệnh tổng công kích đợt cuối cùng của chiến dịch Điện Biên Phủ. Hố bộc phá rất lớn nằm ngay sát cạnh các đường hào tiếp viện của quân Pháp.

Đồi D1 nằm ở ngay trung tâm thành phố. Leo hơn 300 bậc thì sẽ lên đến đỉnh đồi, nơi đó có tượng đài chiến thắng và vào buổi tối thì nơi đây cũng
Picture outside Điện Biên Phủ cemeteryPicture outside Điện Biên Phủ cemeteryPicture outside Điện Biên Phủ cemetery

This picture describes the historical moment, when Vietnam's flag flew on the French headquarters and Colonel De Castries had to surrender.
thắp đèn rất đẹp. Tôi cũng đến đồi Him Lam, nhưng hôm đó trời mưa, đường nhỏ hẹp, dốc và không có ai ở đó nên tôi cũng không dám mạo hiểm đi tiếp. Hai bên đường là cây cối và tôi bị muỗi cắn hai bên bắp chân, nên đành phải quay xuống. Di tích này gần như không có sự đầu tư lớn như ở những khu vực khác. Một điều dễ nhận thấy là các bao cát tại các di tích đã được thay thế bằng bê tông và các đường hào thì xây bằng xi măng để chống sạt lở. Tuy nhiên, đường hào này rất cao, trong khi đường hào gốc bằng đất chắc chắn là phải vừa tầm để có thể tì súng bắn được.

Quần thể di tích Sở chỉ huy chiến dịch Điện Biên Phủ nằm trong rừng ở xã Mường Phăng, cách thành phố Điện Biên trên 30km. Để đến đó phải vượt qua dốc Tà Lơi hiểm trở và nhiều đoạn đường quanh co, khúc khuỷu. Đây là nơi làm việc của Đại tướng Võ Nguyên Giáp và Hoàng Văn Thái. Nếu thuê xe taxi đi nửa ngày thì
Headquarters of French Colonel De Castries Headquarters of French Colonel De Castries Headquarters of French Colonel De Castries

Entrance gate to the former headquarters of French Colonel De Castries. We have to walk down stairs and there are 4 rooms inside the bunker (Lối vào Hầm chỉ huy tập đoàn cứ điểm Điện Biên Phủ).
mất 550.000 đồng, còn thuê xe ôm thì mất 250.000 đồng. Tôi cũng không đến thăm di tích này, một phần vì trời mưa.

Thành phố Điện Biên rất nhỏ bé, nên chỉ đi qua vài con phố là đã ra khu vực cánh đồng. Trên đường đến Thành Bản Phủ để thăm Đền thờ Hoàng Công Chất (là người có công trong việc giành độc lập cho Mường Then - Điện Biên) cách thành phố 11km, tôi đi qua những cánh đồng Hồng Cúm và ghé thăm di tích "Hận thù Noong Nhai", nơi đây từng là một bản của người Thái, nhưng bị quân Pháp ném bom làm chết hơn 444 người. Tại đây có một đài tưởng niệm và hai tấm phù điêu. Chuyến đi của tôi dù ngắn ngủi, chỉ có 3 ngày, nhưng đã giúp tôi mở mang hiểu biết về một đia danh khác của đất nước.


Additional photos below
Photos: 85, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

At the museumAt the museum
At the museum

French Colonel De Castries is standing in the middle of the B&W photo.
At the museumAt the museum
At the museum

This wheel barrow of a Vietnamese farmer could carry 100-180kg of food.
On the top of A1 hillOn the top of A1 hill
On the top of A1 hill

I am standing on the top of A1 hill, which used to be the most important defense hill for the French troops in the valley. In the background, you can see the French trenches and a large hole formed by Vietnamese explosives.
Near the old Mường Thanh bridgeNear the old Mường Thanh bridge
Near the old Mường Thanh bridge

This place used to be the bunker of French Colonel Pirote. (Súng trọng liên 4 nòng bảo vệ Sở chỉ huy tập đoàn cứ điểm ĐBP, bị thủ pháo của quân ta tiêu diệt hồi 16:00 ngày 7/5/1954. Nơi đây từng là hầm của Pirote - Đại tá tư lệnh pháo binh của Pháp).
On the way to the airportOn the way to the airport
On the way to the airport

While walking from my hotel to Điện Biên airport (only 1km) for flight back home, I passed by the Fire Fighting Department of the province.
At the museumAt the museum
At the museum

This B&W photo shows how Vietnamese soldiers carried artillery pieces to the battlefield. One of our famous heroes died when he used his body to prevent an artillery piece from going down the mountain (Bức ảnh tại VBT Chiến thắng ĐBP mô tả cảnh kéo pháo của bộ đội ta)
A souvenir with the famous pictureA souvenir with the famous picture
A souvenir with the famous picture

The picture on this plate recorded a historical moment 17:30 on 7 May 1954 when Vietnamese soldiers were standing on the roof top of French headquarters of Colonel De Castries and raising Vietnam's flag.
French trenchesFrench trenches
French trenches

This is one of the trenches around the former headquarters of Colonel De Castries. Now they are re-built to prevent land collapse. The sand bags have been replaced with concrete.
A cartoonA cartoon
A cartoon

This cartoon published on Vietnam Army newspaper dated 24 Mar 1954. According to the French war prisoners, they were stuck inside the bunkers with long hair and beard and they had to pee at the place.
French artillery gunFrench artillery gun
French artillery gun

The 155mm artillery gun near the French headquarters of Colonel De Castries (Pháo 155mm thuộc trận địa pháo phân khu trung tâm tập đoàn cứ điểm ĐBP bị đạn pháo của quân ta phá huỷ lúc 17:10, ngày 13/3/1954)


30th June 2009

HAPPY Birthday....sorry a bit late....
HAPPY Birthday....sorry a bit late....
1st July 2009

The French War Ended
Dear Hong Ha Thanks for all of your phtos, with which I visually noticed how Vietnamese fighted with French army. I wonder why Majority of Vietmamese martyrs at the cementery are anoymous, or whether those martyrs are unidetified civilians. It's much regrettable that the war expanded to the proxy war between capitalist countries and communist countries in the field of Vietnam, and ended up when N.Vietnam entered Saigon in April 30 1975, leaving behind the great number of irreparable victim. Regards Kob
2nd July 2009

Happy Birthday!!!
Better late than never. Happy Birthday! I have heard of the battle in Dien Bien Phu but never pictured what the place looks like until I read your entry. Thank you for sharing! Where is your next destination?
10th July 2009

Very interesting ...
... entry. Hope you are fine and enjoyed your birthday trip. Greetings, Marcus

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb