Holy Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast
December 29th 2010
Published: January 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Hanoi Turtle Legend 47 secs
Hanoi CityHanoi CityHanoi City

A view from the roof of our first hotel in the Old District
So.....yeah. Saigon ain't for sissies and Hanoi ain't for the faint of heart. Jeff and I were hoping to escape the moped madness, but alas. We were never quite in sync with Hanoi. For example....we were ALWAYS the only table in the restaurant. Either we picked some terrible spots that noone frequents or we showed up a day late and dollar short at...uhhh....7:30 pm.

We started out in a hotel in the Old District, which is really just an analogy for small streets full of street vendors, mopeds, and no pedestrian walking lanes. I had to take a time out on the side of the street before embarking onward. We stayed put for one night and then decided to move on to a hotel just a bit outside the hustle and bustle.

We had a great time touring around Hoan Kiem Lake which is not only picturesque but kinda cool in that you see a lot of Vietnamese influence towards the north end of the lake and a ton of French influence on the South which is a mere 10 minute walk away.

NYE kicked off with a bunch of celebrations throughout the city which was cool to
Moped MADNESS!!!Moped MADNESS!!!Moped MADNESS!!!

We can't escape the mopeds. About 6 million people live in Hanoi and there are 5 million mopeds. This gives new meaning to rush hour traffic. And we live in LA. That's sayin' something.
check out. You can see some pics of Vietnamese Heineken girls dancing to western rap music. Kinda funny.

All in all, we were ready to leave and check out some more picturesque scenery. And I'm still in search for some streetlights so I can stop following people across the street. Although....I'm getting better with Jeff's persuasion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

NYE in HanoiNYE in Hanoi
NYE in Hanoi

It was GOING OFF! I mean. Not really. We had fun checking it all out though.
NYE in HanoiNYE in Hanoi
NYE in Hanoi

And here we are amidst the masses


13th January 2011

Pretty
Pretty lady, Pretty smile, pretty background. Now that's the way to spend NYE. Moped Madness makes rush hour in N.Y. look like small town traffic............Have fun.....Luv U Guys....Dad

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb