Hue, Home of the Citadel


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » North Central Coast » Thua Thien - Huế » Hué
March 25th 2012
Published: March 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have been in Hue for 3 days now, it’s midway between Saigon our starting place and Hanoi out last destination.

Hue’s main attraction is the Citadel, the imperial city on the northern bank of the Song Huong River.

The Emperor’s official functions were carried out in the imperial enclosure.

Within the enclosure is the ‘ Forbidden Purple City which was reserved for the private life of the Emperor, the only servants that were allowed in were eunuchs who posed no threat to the royal concubines.Nowadays visitors are welcome.



As well as visiting the Citadel we have visited yet more pagodas and temples around the city. The river has attractive banks with ‘Dragon Boats’ taking tourist on a cruise to yet more tombs and temples. We declined the boat touts and strolled along the riverbank instead, stopping off for cool drinks in the numerous cafes along the way. While we sat in one a local man was shuffling his feet in the grassy bank then jumping as if catching something that he then stuffed into a bag. As he passed I asked him what was in the bag, he proudly showed me the contents – insects. Crickets probably, I asked if he was going to eat them and he gestured ‘yes’ with a look that said he thought they were delicious! They were probably coated in batter and fried later that evening!



On Saturday we woke up to grey skies, it had been raining for most of the night, outside the temperature has dropped by about 15 degrees overnight, reminds me of home! We visited yet another Pagoda and the Ho Chi Ming museum and spent the rest of the day on the internet catching up and eating chocolate banana cake.



On Monday we go to Hanoi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Truong Tien Bridge Truong Tien Bridge
Truong Tien Bridge

Over the Song Huong River. (The Perfume River)


27th March 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Hi Sheila, Know it's a day late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Hope you had a great time. Love Triciaxxx

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb