The Journey Continues


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hoi An ArchitectureHoi An ArchitectureHoi An Architecture

Many of the buildings in Hoi An were built between the 16th and 19th centuries. The look of Hoi An is totally unique in Vietnam.
In an attempt to not be too repetitive with my blogs I'm going to keep this one rather brief. As I've already "blogged" many of the places I'm now revisiting, I don't see a tremendous need to repeat tales of history and geography in Central Vietnam. That doesn't mean, however, that the last few weeks have been short of any fun and excitement. I think quite the contrary. Since I last updated this site, Dad and I have been working our way north toward our eventual final destination of Hanoi. There's only 11 days of our trip left and man has time moved by fast. It seriously seems like yesterday that we were wandering around Saigon while I watched Dad's bewildered reaction to the motorbike insanity that consumes the city. It's been a great trip so far and I'm sad to see it winding down. In the following paragraph I've detailed a rather brief itinerary of our recent travels. Most of the places I had visited before, several spots we both visited for the first time. Either way, it's been great fun.

So...after leaving Saigon (Ho Chi Miny City), we flew to Siem Reap, Cambodia. As I mentioned on
A Totally New LookA Totally New LookA Totally New Look

Dad sporting his new, finely tailored black silk pajamas.
many occasions before, it's the home of Angkor Wat and is truly a sight to behold. We spent 3 days at a really beautiful sort of colonial, sort of "Explorer's Club" type hotel. After the brief side-trip to Cambodia we were back to Vietnam. After staying another night in Saigon we took a short flight toDalat . Often referred to as the "Le Petite Paris" of SE Asia, it's high elevation allowed us to escape the intense heat of the South for a few days. We went hiking, rode motorcycles, and generally explored the beautiful southern-end of the Central Highlands. FromDalat we rode bicycles 90km to Nha Trang on the coast. Spending only one night in Nha Trang, we took a short flight to Danang, where we were whisked off to the ancient town of Hoi An. One of my favorite spots in all of Vietnam, Hoi An boasts incredible architecture, unique cuisine, and awesome custom tailors. Dad and I had pajamas, suits, tuxedos, shirts, shorts, and just about everything else made while inHoi An, I've even attached a photo of Dad in his new pajamas. From Hoi An we took a bus to Hue where we are currently residing.
Old Church DalatOld Church DalatOld Church Dalat

An old French-colonial church in Dalat, built in the late 19th century.
The first day we did an all day tour of the "DMZ", the former demilitarizedzone , separating the North and South of Vietnam during the war. Surrounding the DMZ in all directions are numerous destroyed buildings and former locations where some serious fighting took place. I hired a former South-Vietnamese army officer to give us a tour of the area. Much to our dismay we were taken back into a different section of underground tunnels near the DMZ, but luckily these ones were a bit larger than those at Cu Chi. You can see from the photo that we could actually stand up and walk, instead of crawling through the tunnels. Since we've been in Hue, the weather has actually turned a bit sour but has actually been a welcome relief from the heat. Even though we've seen rain each of the last 3 days, the temperature hovers in the mid-70's to low-80's which makes the air pleasant almost anytime of the day. Since arriving in Hue we've been staying at a hotel in the former French-colonial governor's mansion. Designed and decorated in art-deco style architecture and decor, after renovation and additions the place was converted into the La Residence
Ho Chi Minh History MuseumHo Chi Minh History MuseumHo Chi Minh History Museum

One of the numerous museums paying tribute to Uncle Ho in Saigon.
Hotel & Spa. If anyone ever visits Hue, I certainly recommend it as the place to stay. Later tonight we take a short flight to Hanoi and tomorrow we're on the overnight train toSapa. After several days exploring Sapa it's back to Hanoi, off to Halong Bay, then back for our final few days at the Sofitel Metropole Hanoi. On May 12th I'm off to New Delhi, India and Dad's off to Hong Kong on his way back to San Francisco.

As before I've uploaded some photos of our recent travels. For those of you paying close attention, the one of Dad in the black pajamas is perhaps my best photo yet.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Dalat LakeDalat Lake
Dalat Lake

A view across the lake during a beautiful day in Dalat.
Flower TreeFlower Tree
Flower Tree

Spotted during our hike in Dalat, I couldn't help but to marvel at the intense colors radiating from this tree.
On the SummitOn the Summit
On the Summit

One of the highest points in Dalat, we spent the day hiking up and down this mountain. Elevation is around 5200 ft.
On the RoadOn the Road
On the Road

During a quick snack break on our bike ride from Dalat to Nha Trang.
My Son TemplesMy Son Temples
My Son Temples

Amidst the ancient ruins in Central Vietnam.
Bombed-Out ChurchBombed-Out Church
Bombed-Out Church

The old church had been shot up, bombed out and generally destroyed during heaving fighting between US troops and the Vietcong.
Back in the TunnelsBack in the Tunnels
Back in the Tunnels

Inside the tunnels near the DMZ.
Fresh AirFresh Air
Fresh Air

Happy to have escape the claustrophobic feelings of being 30 feet underground in dark tunnels.
So Happy!So Happy!
So Happy!

Dad hates being on the back of a motorbike in crazy Vietnam. The cheery look on his face says it all.
Tombs of the EmperorTombs of the Emperor
Tombs of the Emperor

An area located a the tombs of former Vietnamese emperors.
Tomb GuardianTomb Guardian
Tomb Guardian

A figure to help protect the Emperor's tomb.
Approaching Angkor TomApproaching Angkor Tom
Approaching Angkor Tom

On the way into another massive temple structure near Angkor Wat.
Angkor Wat StatueAngkor Wat Statue
Angkor Wat Statue

A multi-handed Hindu figure at Angkor Wat.
Angkor Wat LibraryAngkor Wat Library
Angkor Wat Library

One of 2 main libaries on the grounds of Angkor Wat.
At the TempleAt the Temple
At the Temple

Sitting on the stairs leading up to the top of Angkor Wat.
Bayon TempleBayon Temple
Bayon Temple

Taken in front of the impressive reliefs at the Bayon Temple near Angkor Wat.


Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0947s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb