MyTho in the Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Tien Giang » My Tho
July 3rd 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Left early for the Mekong Delta area. We headed to a city called My Tho where we got a small boat to our first stop Turtle Island where we ate lovely local fruits and listened to music sang by two women. Then we went to a coconut candy making place on the mainland. It was soo yummy I bought 2 packs which have already been eaten.

We then took a short donkey ride to the Bee farm where we had honey tea with extra honey. There was also a snake there which we could try on....We then took an even smaller peddle boat down the calm streamdsof the mekong delta to a restaurant where we stopped for lunch.

We were persuaded to have the set menu for lunch as it included a little of everything. It started with a large elephant ear fish which tasted very similar to deep fried cod. It was delicious, but the rest of the dishes were pretty grotty. I recommend just buying the fish.

We then took the larger boat again to our homestay for the night. We slept outside on the veranda, we all fell asleep after we arrived probably the heat. We woke up in time for a short walk before dinner. During dinner Emily&Grey presented us with lovely t-shirts which they had bought the whole group with sayings/names on the back. It was really nice. Pictures to follow in later post.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Local fruitsLocal fruits
Local fruits

The yellow fruit on left is Pomalo like a grapefruit The round ones are called Longon similar to lycees The pink white black dotted one is dragon fruit The others are pineapple and bananas
Donkey rideDonkey ride
Donkey ride

looking a little scared
LunchLunch
Lunch

"Elephant ear" fish
DurainDurain
Durain

The most disgusting fruit in the world..it smells like wet damp smelly old running shoes


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb