Background: Russia conquered Uzbekistan in the late 19th century. Stiff resistance to the Red Army after World War I was eventually suppressed and a socialist republic set up in 1924. During the Soviet era, intensive production of "white gold" (cotton) and grain led to overuse of agrochemicals and the depletion of water supplies, which have left the land poisoned and the Aral Sea and certain rivers half dry. Independent since 1991, the country seeks to gradually lessen its dependence on agriculture while developing its mineral and petroleum reserves. Current concerns include terrorism by Islamic militants, economic stagnation, and the curtailment of human rights and democratization.
Photos from Tashkent
Blogs from Tashkent
Latest Blogs from Tashkent
- January 25th 2014 Tashkent: a good intro to Uzbekistan
by Words: 965 Photos: 140
- December 29th 2013 Boratland here I come ....до свидания Uzbekistan it's been real..........
by Words: 1209 Photos: 17
- October 27th 2013 Sorry! It's been a long time since I've been on......
by Words: 390 Photos: 96
- October 2nd 2013 Tashkent: wat historie, pracht en praal en de aanwezige overheid
by Words: 1425 Photos: 29
- October 1st 2013 Robbert gaat verder met Barbara Oezbekistan in
by Words: 1732 Photos: 18
- August 30th 2013 Methuselah On The Move - Update 3 (Tashkent)
by Words: 2218 Photos: 9
- June 9th 2013 Uzbekistan and Russia : it's my dream come true...May 2013
by Words: 7681 Photos: 73
- April 14th 2013 and we're off !!
by Words: 653 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2013 Tashkent
by Words: 596 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2013 I'm Here !!!
by Words: 552 Photos: 0
- April 8th 2013 Silk Road: Tashkent, Bukhara, and Samarkand
by Words: 2373 Photos: 22
- July 1st 2012 Into Uzbekistan - 1 July 2012 - mile 8410
by Words: 639 Photos: 24
- May 14th 2011 Moscow-Tashkent
by Words: 437 Photos: 4
- September 14th 2010 Taschkent - die Hauptstadt Usbekistans
by Words: 598 Photos: 28
- September 13th 2010 Grenzübertritt von Kasachstan nach Usbekistan
by Words: 744 Photos: 1
- February 13th 2010 Tashkent
by Words: 624 Photos: 0
- October 1st 2009 Moscow to Tashkent by train
by Words: 305 Photos: 4
- August 30th 2009 What is it about Uzbekistan?
by Words: 432 Photos: 4
- August 14th 2009 Tashkent
by Words: 1 Photos: 34
- July 4th 2009 Ashgabat to Tashkent
by Words: 963 Photos: 20