Day 29 Kanchanaburi - Death Railway


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
February 9th 2014
Published: February 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Picked up early from The Chatrium in Bangkok. This is the day for our visit to the Bridge Over the River Kwai and the Death Railway. On the way we stopped for a quick visit at a local market, literally along a railway track where the train brings people to buy their fish, fruit and vegetables. The track is the main aisle of the market and when the train comes twice a day, the stall holders literally have to move everything back from the side of the track to allow the train through.

We then headed to a floating market where you get into a paddle boat and get paddled up and down the canal to look at stalls along the sides and also to buy food, goods etc from others boats. Very busy and a bit touristy but the noodles and spring rolls were great!

Then a quick visit to an elephant park where the girls and Mark had an elephant ride and we watched what supposed to be a monkey show. Very sad watching the poor monkeys being made to perform tricks and entertain us. Not a pleasure to watch.

Headed on to Kanchanaburi and the Death Railway to see the museum and the new bridge over the river Kwai. Took a short journey on a 1945 train on the original track Laid by the POWs. A bit of a bone shaker but fun, very warm and a bit emotional for Mark.

A short drive to our hotel for the night which was in fact a tent, luckily with clean running water and electricity! A quick dip in the natural spring pool before a lovely buffet dinner around the camp fire. A Thai massage for the girls and an early night with mosquito repellant!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb