Ko Lanta to Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand
April 25th 2008
Published: April 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Epic journeys both begin and end this blog...

To get from the Cameron Highlands to Ko Lanta we needed 2 buses, a train, a plane, a mini-bus, 2 boats and a jeep. Once there it was well worth it though as we stepped our relaxing up to a new level with a week in two fantastic resorts on this laid back Thai island. With nothing to do other than swim in the 'bath water warm' pool and stroll along the beach we indulged in plenty of reading, Thai massages, Thai food and general lazing about. The main reason for coming here was to celebrate Clare's 30th birthday and by happy coincidence it was also Songkhran or Thai New Year, so although I'd like to claim I laid on the fireworks, waterfights (that are an integral part of this festival) and Thai dancing specifically for Clare, in reality it had nothing to do with me.

Next stop was Khao Sok National Park for an altogether less relaxing experience. The park is set within a jungle in Karst scenery with its centrepiece being a massive lake (actually reservoir). We stayed for two days, on the first we walked 14 long hot
Clare in the pool on her birthdayClare in the pool on her birthdayClare in the pool on her birthday

heated by the sun, as warm as a bath
KMs through the jungle to see a waterfall. We were within 50ms of it when the path was blocked by a landslide and we realised we would not reach the target. Sitting down to consider this we spotted that are legs were covered in blood sucking leaches so it was a rather despondent trudge back. Day 2 saw us visit the lake and take a longtail boat to look at the amazing scenery and swim in the lake. A very nice day was spoilt somewhat by the journey home in an open topped 'jeep' (let us call it that at any rate), as we alternated between breaking down and being driven much to fast in a storm in an effort to prevent breaking down - not an experience we hope to repeat.

Then came the 2nd epic journey, 3hrs on a bus were followed by 27 on a train from Surat Thani to Chiang Mai so we are very glad to be here and excitedly awaiting the arrival of Ruth and Marie who are travelling with us for a couple of weeks.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Thai New YearThai New Year
Thai New Year

I have just been doused in ice cold water and talcum powder


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb