Update to the Saga on Karon Beach on 5th June


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This was the news clipping regarding the excitement we observed at the beach.
Luckily the outcome was good.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Aussie family narrowly avoids drowning in Phuket

KARON, PHUKET: A family of Australian tourists who ignored red warning flags narrowly escaped drowning at Karon Beach on Tuesday afternoon.

Chalong Police identified the victims as Mr Samir Mourad, 58, his daughter Zeinab, 16, and Mr Mourad’s wife, whose first name and age were not reported.

According to the report, Mr Mourad was sunbathing while his wife and daughter entered the heavy surf, despite the fact that red warning flags were clearly visible in the area.

The mother and daughter were soon pulled out to sea by a rip tide and began calling for help.

Mr Mourad heard their shouts and went in the water to help. He was able to reach his wife and bring her safely back to shore.

Going back in for his daughter, he became too exhausted and the two-meter-high waves kept pushing him under.

Local residents saw what was happening and notified Chalong Police.

Using a boat, rescue workers from the Karon Hazard Prevention Unit and the Phuket Tourist Rescue Center rushed to the scene to save the girl.

It took the boat nearly 25 minutes to get safely back to shore, after which all three family members were rushed to hospital.

It was not reported which hospital the family were taken to or who was admitted, but Mrs Mourad, released soon after arrival, returned to the family’s hotel to bring some belongings to the hospital.

Karon Mayor Tawee Tongcham commented that drownings at west coast beaches are common during the monsoon season, despite the red flags put up cautioning people not to enter the surf.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb