Thai times


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
March 16th 2009
Published: March 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Cooking class 112 secs
We're about to say goodbye to Phuket and head to Bangkok. It's been awesome here, and despite the weather forecast being thunder storms for our entire holiday (according to the Thai Meteorological Department before we left) we had great weather, sunshine for most of the time.

Highlights of the trip would include our Thai cooking class, held at our hotel. As you can see from the photos, we were very popular with the hotel staff. I think we had a crowd of about 10. We learnt to cook Fried chicken in panadanus leaves, Tom Yam Goong, and red curry with Pork. By the time we get back I'm sure we'll have a full repertoire of cuisines from all around the world for dinner parties!

Saturday night we headed to the Phuket night markets which was another highlight. We tried a variety of new and interesting 'thai snacks' some of which we had no idea what we were eating. We were even brave enough to try some sort of insects, deep fried and seasoned. Tasty!!

Yesterday we went on a boat trip to Phang Nga Bay. We opted for a luxury speed boat which we were very relieved about when we saw some of the other tour boats overcrowded with tourists. Our boat had 11 tourists and 5 crew. First stop was Koh Phanak Cave, also known as the 'Mangrove cave' because it opens opens to the middle of the island where Mangrove trees grow. It all fills with water twice a day so you can find cat fish inside the cave and in the middle of the island which fills to about two metres at high tide.

We went to a second cave, Koh Hong, meaning 'Island Room' which was a very interesting limestone cave with some amazing 'stalactites' and 'stalagmites' which are those things that drip down from the ceiling of the cave and the mounds that form beneath. This cave is now dry, meaning the sea water cannot get inside any more because it's too high, but fresh water seaps through the ceiling, creating the beautiful stalactites and the stalagmites beneath. In the middle of the island there is a fresh water lagoon which is completely untouched.

We went to a few more Islands including the famous James Bond Island. Pity about the rubbish all over it and the market stalls everywhere - they
Chicken wrapped in Panadanus leavesChicken wrapped in Panadanus leavesChicken wrapped in Panadanus leaves

Yes we actually made this ourselves!
really have cashed in on its fame with the tourists! We also went to a beautiful Island called Rang Yai which was very nice. I took over the wheel for a while on the way there - i think everyone was a bit nervous at first but I got us there safely! Unfortunately the weather turned on the way back and we went through a mini storm. We were drenched and feeling a bit queasy when we got back!

Next stop Bangkok then on to Dubai!!

Over and out,

Ali & Stu xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

James Bond IslandJames Bond Island
James Bond Island

The tour guide made us do this, honestly!


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb