I should learn to speak Karen on an elephant


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
December 15th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dinner with Dot Lay MuDinner with Dot Lay MuDinner with Dot Lay Mu

Dinner with FTUK leader Dot Lay Mu at his house. The red and white shirt is a gift from my English students and the green bag was a gift from him.
So I am now in Phuket. I left Mae Sot. It was sad to leave, however I now have two Karen shirts and two Karen traditional bags for gifts. Somehow I feel like I should learn to speak Karen as I have all of the acessories to dress up as a Karen person. The ARH team took me out for dinner which was really nice but I had to leave early to catch my bus.

I decided to stay in a $15 dollar hotel advertised on "hostels.com" in Bangkok. While there are some nice cheap hostels this was not one of them. I arrived from the stupid Mae Sot night bus at 4:30 am (there were no VIP tickets left so I had to take first class.. thank gosh for Tylenol PM). Wow... I felt like I was in a pornigraphic movie. It was on the third floor of "Raja Resort Hotel" which seemed more like a short term rental place... There was a front room with four dorm beds in the hostel which led into my "single room" with one bathroom inbetween. There was a mirrored ceiling, a round bed with dirty sheets, insects and mirrors all in the
Gibbon sanctruaryGibbon sanctruaryGibbon sanctruary

rode to on motorbike my last day. Pretty close to mae Sot (about 30 minutes) where many many gibbons who were formerly mistreated are kept. This was a baby who they had to bottlefeed.
"bedroom" with no windows. See picture below.

The flight from BKK to Koh Samui was great. Bangkok Airways, a small regional carrier is the best airline I have flown to date. They have a lounge at all departures for all passengers with drinks, food, etc. and give you a meal even on 40 minute flights. Samui was beautiful. A bit touristy but noweher near as bad as Phuket where I am now. I rented a motorbike to get around the island (I'm surprisngly good at riding them now) and found a deserted secluded beach where no one was. I also did an elephant ride. It was fun and only for half an hour. The guide was really nice and let me feed the elephant - he ate a whole bunch of bananas without having to peel them - I never realized elephants had such large mouths.

Now in Phuket. Not a big fan. I really don't like having to physically pry myself from "massage girls" in the street nor fat old man with 16 year old Thai women.... such is life. I'm going to Koh Phi Phi via ferry tomorrow for a day which should be much quitier.
My farewell dinnerMy farewell dinnerMy farewell dinner

So the ARH team has shrunken but here is me, Alice, Paw Hsa Soe and Boh Boh. The brown shirt was a gift from the team for my work.


I miss the clinic. One of my students e-mailed me to tell me he was trying to get repatriated to the US...he already went for his interview at Mae La. He said their new teacher is good but not like me which made me feel good 😊.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The red dogThe red dog
The red dog

So I had to leave this cute dog.. he always wagged his tail when I came home. But its okay... I get to see Sashkies soon!
A dog at Koh SamuiA dog at Koh Samui
A dog at Koh Samui

I seem to have a thing for dog pics...This was the nice quiet gentle dog at first but then I gpot scared because he started going crazy and running in circles around the beach. I hope he doens't have rabies...
Elephant trekkingElephant trekking
Elephant trekking

I'm a little scared
Me and the elephantMe and the elephant
Me and the elephant

I forgot her name but apparently she's a baby.
Deserted beachDeserted beach
Deserted beach

The beach I found while motorbiking. Only one there besides a fisherman. It was beautiful.
Liked the boatsLiked the boats
Liked the boats

saw this on my way to the beach.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb