Phangan, Tao and Krabi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
March 19th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bangkok - Phangan - Tao - Krabi


19th

So we arrived in Surat Thani at 5 a.m. not a good time when you've had hardly any sleep and it's surprisingly cold. We got herded into a small open bus station that was more of a shed. Our onward bus wasn't until 7:30 so we had a bit of a wait. After an attempted sleep our bus turned up and got us to the ferry terminal, from there we were off to Koh Phangan.

We arrived on the full moon party island with blistering heat and plenty of sun, but by the time the tuk tuk had got us to our accomodation it had started pissing it down! great. We'd booked a bungalow with a sea view and the place was pretty spacious and the views were unbelievable. We caught up on sleep and readied ourself for the full moon party tonight!

The beach was rammed full, the whole length of the beach was full of bars blasting out there chosen music, each bar had a different style and each one was full of partiers all drinking there Samsong buckets. Some bars had huge jump ropes that had been set on fire and nearly everyone who attempted to jump was either to drunk or couldn't jump high enough and so they ended up jumping away having touched the fire or in one case fallen on top of the flaming rope.
The atmosphere was amazing and i am ashamed to say that after one to many buckets i was on my way home early. Not that i remember but i have been told that in the tuk tuk home i was sick all over my arm and proceeded to apologise in german to 2 germans in our tuk tuk, whilst kim was being touched up by 2 ladyboys at the same time.




20th

Woke up feeling better than i probably should of, after breakfast i realised it's because i was still drunk. A quick skype home and tea on the beach was all that really happened for that day. Had to stay up late aswell so Kim could skype Carolyn. hoping for some good weather tomorrow.




21st

A few of our group from the first part of our trip are staying on the island and they tuk tuk'd it up to see us and we spent the day on the beach. Spent alot of the day in the sea and from that i was bright red from the waist up, very sore and led to the purchase of some aloe vera. We leave for Koh Tao tomorrow.




22nd

We arrived on Koh Tao at 2pm, my bag had absolutely raped my shoulders and i was in agony, not only that but it was so hot, possibly the hottest day so far. It's the first time on the trip that we turned up and hoped to get a room, bad idea, almost everywhere was exclusively for scuba divers or booked up. we did find a room over a shop that sells pipes. It was 400 bht so not bad, once we were settled we realised that there was no sink, no flush on the toilet and only cold water for the shower (last time i send kim to look at a room for us).
We had a few hours till tea with our travel buddies so we went for a explore of the local area, we found a supermarket that sold salt and vinegar kettle chips and in possibly the sadest thing i/we've ever done we bought them and ate our first crisp together, after making sure they were of equal size. Ah well, f**k it they tasted so good and they were well expensive!
After tea we checked out a fire show at a beach bar, it was amazing they went into the crowd and performed right in front of you, bit too close for my liking after i got burnt from a bit to close of an encounter. They even managed to light a cigarette in some guys mouth, more buckets to drink and i had to take kim home after she was so hammered she fell over on the dance floor, which was now basically the sea.




23rd

Today it pissed it down so we sat in a sports bar all day. We also booked our boat/bus to krabi for the next evening. Not much happening to be honest so we hit the hay early, plus kim was still hungover!




24th

We stuffed ourselves at an all you can eat buffet for breakfast and retreated to the sports bar again as we'd already checked out.
When our tuk tuk to the ferry terminal arrived it started to piss down, and joy of all joys our tuk tuk was basically a pick up and you sat in the back. We arrived at the boat soaked to the skin and once we'd boarded we realised that we had no clothes to change into, excellent.
With the rain came the storm and in our overnight boat you were thrown from side to side with the swell. There were no private cabins in this boat, it was a giant room with 40 matteresses on the floor and we were in the smaller room! The choppy sea didnt really bother me but it scared kim shitless and she hung on for dear life for the whole way, she even went as far to say that she should of called her mum before she left but she clung to me and prayed.
We saw the weirdest thing aswell, a girl across from us sat up in her bed before we left and put full make up on as if to go on the piss on a saturday night, then lay down and went to sleep. Strange person.
the sea did calm down and we managed an hours sleep before the boat docked.




25th

Our coach to Krabi arrived and after everyone had been boarded we soon discovered that there wern't enough seats for us all, being last on kim ended up in a kids deckchair in the aisle halfway up the bus and i was wedged in between the very front seats for 3 hours, if we'd crashed there would of been no more Daniel i can tell you that.
We'd booked a hostel before we'd left Koh Tao so once there we got settled we showered and went out for lunch. There isn't much to do in Krabi so that afternoon we caught the local bus to Ao Nang for a beach session.
The beach was stunning, long and thin with loads of long boast moored off shore. This area we are in is where the boxing day tsunami hit and most of it was totally wrecked, evacuation signs point the way to safety now. I was still feeling the burn from our beach day in Phangan so kept covered up.
Our bus driver on the way back took so long, every 20 metres he'd stop and shout krabi in an attmept to fill his bus up and make the most profit from his trip, still it was damn annoying. He then sent us the wrong way and we ended up wandering about for 45 minutes trying to find our way until a helpful local sorted us out. We showered once more and went to the food market for some well tasty grub and a few cocktails during happy hour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb