Blue Skies, Here we Come Again !!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lipe
February 4th 2008
Published: February 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

snowy mountainssnowy mountainssnowy mountains

The sight that met my tired eyes as we zoomed our way to some much needed sunshine
After several months of dreary weather in good old Britain we are on the road again.

This time we are catching up with Sharon and Scott on Ko Lipe, Thailand. Reputed to be the nearest thing to a deserted tropical island. The big down side to this island is the time it takes to get here. 16 hours on a plane, (well 2 planes to be exact) 4 hours wait in Bangkok Airport, 2 hours on another plane to the south of Thailand, taxi ride to Hat Yai then a 2 1/2 bus ride to the port of Pak Bara. All this followed by a 4 hour ferry ride. Last but not least transfer in mid-sea onto a longtail boat to drop us onto the beach as there is no jetty on Ko Lipe.
Hopefully it will all be worth it !!!

2nd February 2008

Well we have finally made it as far as Pak Bara, the port where you get the ferry to Ko Lipe from but unfortunatly the last boat of the day has left so we'll have to wait and go tomorrow.


Long before we landed in the Thailand we were dazzled by brilliant blue Skies as we flew over the middle East. I was drifting in and out of sleep when I decided to take a look out of the window. The sight that met my tired eyes was amazing, high,snowy covered mountains as far as the eye could see, no sign of habitation just the odd snow covered road snaking it's way along the valley floor, above us a clear blue sky. Beautiful to look at but I was glad to be in a cosy aircraft looking down. My watch said 2pm but here as we sped along, the sun was beginning to set. As it did so the west facing slopes turned into an array of amber and golden shades before fading into the dim light of dusk. The sky changed from bright blue to dark blue and then purple shortly before giving way to inky black. These are the times when I remember why we love travelling so much.

We are now looking forward to meeting Sharon and Scott and the island life tomorrow. Our last contact had been an e-mail just saying "see you on the beach". Amazingly we can fly half way around the world and just bump into each other on a random beach. I'm praying they will have secured us a much needed comfy bed for the night!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Mini Bus to Pak BaraMini Bus to Pak Bara
Mini Bus to Pak Bara

We spent almost 3 hours crammed on the back seat of this mini bus surrounded by boxes of fish, backpacks and various boxes


3rd February 2008

See you soon!
Hi, It's wierd that you are in Pak Bara, only 2 or so hours away by boat, and we are on Lipe. It's probably good that you are arriving today, though, as accommodation was virtually non-existent last night - nightmare! But, we have bungalows now for both of us, so we should be set! See you in a few hours!!! Love, Sharon and Scott xxx

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb