The Road to Koh Lanta and my little slice of Paradise


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
November 3rd 2013
Published: November 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hey All,

As I am writing this my feet are ankle deep in sand and I am watching the tide roll in and the sun will be setting in a few minutes over the Adaman Sea. If you are jealous you should be and if not, then I want to be where you are.

So yea, I made it. My new alarm clock passed its first test and had me out front of my guest house at 5:20 this morning and right on time at 5:25 Mr Gao pulled up in this tuktuk and delivered me 20 minutes later at the departure door for domestic flights at Chiang Mai Airport. Flew Bangkok Airways to Bangkok, then 1 ½ layover and flight to Krabi. This time I promise to include the map – lol. The flight to Bangkok was about 1 hour, but to my surprise the cart came rolling down the aisle with what I figured would be a beverage, but no, it was a full blown breakfast. Croissant sandwich with egg and ham, fruit, yogurt, coffee and juice, holy cow. They kept coming filling your coffee and had hot tea if that was your preference. I was waiting on a back massage, but I guess the flight was too short. On the 45 minute flight to Krabi they served another meal, but I was too full from the first one. Gotta love that airline.

On the flight to Krabi I was talking with a British dude who assured me I would not be able to make the public ferry crossing to Koh Lanta. I was mistaken on the arrival time, thought it was 10 but was actually 11. By the time I had baggage and in the lobby of the airport it was 11:20. The ferry leaves at 12:30, so he is correct, there was no way. The Krabi airport is well outside the city and you need more time. My other 2 options were: A) hire a car, to drive me directly to my destination for $80. B) take a shuttle of some kind into Krabi Town and find the minivans that go to Koh Lanta. Wait on one to fill up and then get dropped off at your destination, which hopefully is before most of the people in the van. I heard they pile you into those minivans like a sardine, trying make as much money as possible. Hmmm, not to hard a decision, I took A, since I have been very frugal on this trip and I skipped the $50 Elephant Painting, I decided to reward myself.

After collecting my bag I found a booth in the lobby that said Taxi with destinations and prices. The trip to Koh Lanta takes several hours and by car was 2500 Baht, or by van was $3000 Baht. I ordered a car and paid the lady and she yelled in some microphone, which she did not need, and someone escorted me out to the front driveway. A minute later this behemoth van pulls up and they load my suitcase in the back. I said Car, Car, but they just shuffled me in. I had already paid, so what the hey. He sped off and I was like you have to be kidding me. This thing could hold about 15 people and I was lost as to where to sit. I guess all the cars were gone. Soon another van like ours passed and had 1 person in it, seems a waste to me. After a while we came to a ferry crossing around noon I guess, and we got in line and was able to make the first arrival. It was a crusty old rattle trap, had me searching for where the life jackets were stored. I swear I could have swam across the crossing faster. Some people were walking up and getting on before we left, and I was like, why can’t you come here for cheaper and get across and find a songthow to the hotel? My question was soon answered as we finally made it across and within about 7 miles there was another ferry crossing. Now it made sense, this route you would have to walk from one ferry to the other since there was no transportation between. This crossing was shorter but took longer as the ferries seemed smaller and we had to wait for the 2nd one. They are some construction going on at the crossing and its obvious they are going to build a big bridge. Its in the early stages so this will be years away.

The sun is setting and its just beautiful and peaceful. There must be a mosk nearby because I hear the chanting of a prayer over a loudspeaker that is easily a muslim chant.

While on the 2nd ferry my driver calls over to one of his fellow drivers and asks about my bungalow. I had the Thai lady at my guest house write out the name of the place I was hoping to get in Thai for me since I could forsee a problem. He showed his friend and he was giving directions and such, which my driver was like oh yea, oh yea, so I thought all was good. Wrong! He was driving and searching and asking and finally I spotted the sign as we were about to drive by it for the 3rd time.

From start to finish was about 3 ½ hours, so I guess the $80 was not a ripoff. It was really a long way and included the ferry tolls.

Success, they still had a bungalow available for 4 nights and I jumped on it. I love this place and one of the reasons I picked it out is because it had a swimming pool. It such a long walk from my bungalow to the beach, ummm 50 feet I would say. This place is so laid back, the kind of place where you put your swimsuit on the first day and never take it off. The beach is lined with small places, restaurants and bars. I think I am going to be very happy here.

Just looking about I think there are about 10 bungalows and only seen 4 of them with customers so far, but it still off season for now.

Well, going to walk down the beach and see what I can locate for supper.

I think it was worth the extra effort to get here,

Happy Travels, Don

P.S. Happy Birthday Lisa, Welcome to the 50 club


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



3rd November 2013

Paradise
Don, your right I'm jealous! That is beautiful! Could definitely see living there. Did you find retirement spot? Karen
4th November 2013

I tell you, Chiang Mai is now on the top of my list, but I am always looking.
4th November 2013

You win!!!! I\'m sooooo jealous!!!!! It\'s 41 degrees here and I have to work tomorrow. Have a great vacation and continued good luck with your travels. Love, Theresa
5th November 2013

Enjoy the cold weather - lol

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb