Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi and Penang


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
April 1st 2011
Published: August 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lanta - Phi Phi - Penang (via Krabi)


1st

Woke up feeling feverish and tired, couldnt eat all day and spent most of the day asleep. I had all the symptoms of malaria and seeing as i hadn't exactly been keeping up with my tablets i was very worried. We went to reception and they sorted us out a lift to the doctors but when that was closed we had to go to the hospital. Once there i was examined and told that i had to wait longer to see if my fever hung around and if it did to go back to the hospital. I was hoping that it would go soon. the taxi driver wanted 1000 bht for the lift but we refused and paid 500, it wasnt exactly far he was just ripping us off.




2nd

Still felt like shit, forced some oj into me and went back to bed for a few hours, when i woke up the fever was gone and i felt so much better, like i'd never been ill. phew!! i was relieved.
We booked tickets for Koh phi phi, Koh lanta is nice but not much happens and its got no real towns to walk to and explore.




3rd

20 bht to even step foot on Phi Phi!!!! We had a look round for a place to stay and found a room above a pool hall for 800 bht, airconned, tv, fridge and hot shower, pretty good for being right near the beach. Had brunch on the beach which is stunning! still feel abit dodgy and the heat made me go all dizzy so i didnt last long sunbathing, not used to the sun and the heat really took it out of me so we stayed in that night.




4th

Same again for today, abit of sunbathing although this time we ot beach chairs and a parasol so i could chill out and read whilst kim fried under the sun. The bay is beautiful although a little bit rocky once the tide has gone out, it sits between two high points and it was also badly damaged as the tsunami was just funneled through and wiped out everything.
later that day we set off for the view point, it's a 1000ft climb and the views are outstanding, you can see for miles around and the sunset was stunning, although we didnt stay for the whole thing. On the way back down we stopped at a bar and watched The Beach, wierd film but can't wait to see Maya bay.




5th

Got up and booked our snorkell trip and onward tickets to Penang, Malaysia.
Our trip left at 2pm anmd within minutes we were at Monkey beach, it's a tiny bit of sand clinging to a cliff here loads of monkeys hang out getting fed by tourists, atleast 100 tourists packed on to the beach and watched as the monkeys made daring raids to steal our lunches. Onwards from there we past Viking cave, this is where they harvest birds nests for soups and drinks. this cave makes 200 million bht a year from birds nests ( 50bht is 1 quid). we stopped at the lagoon next and had a kayak around and abit of a snorkel, there was a fish feeding frenzy and kim was right in the middle of it, shitting herself. As a joke i got the guy to throw rice in her direction to attract the fish, but he hit her right on her snorkel mask! she washed it off but it attracted even more fish towards her, not happy!
After this was a stop in a bay where you can walk through to Maya bay, the view is stunning but its spoilt by all the boats and people, after an hour to look around and take as many photos as you can. Had tea and watched the sunset on the way home. All in all a pretty good day. New country tomorrow!




6th

we left for Penang at 8:30 am and arrived at our hostel at 9pm, nightmare day of travelling. the worst bit was a dodgy minibus with no cooling except for 1 window at the front which some idiot german kept closing leaving everyone behind him to sweat it out. Luckily the bus was not forever and we changed at hat yai for a much cooler bus. Still it was a nightmare day of travelling and we were glad to get into bed at the end of it.




7th

We were up and ready for sightseeing today, breakfast was included and was the wierdest thing i will possibly ever eat, green noodles coated in sugar and served with coconut, all washed down with soy milk, vile!
We were gonna get the bus into town but a locakl guy offered us a lift so we took it as we had no idea when the bus was due, lucky he wasn't a rapist i guess. The sights wern't very interesting and i didnt feel up for a whole day wandering in the heat so we had lunch and headed back, booked our bus to Kuala Lumpur and went out for tea, i'm sorry to say that we had Mcdonalds, just couldnt be arsed with deciding what to eat and what id like or not.











Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb