Finding Nemo & Evil Bucket of Fun!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
January 1st 2007
Published: January 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!!!



I hope everyone had a safe & fun New Years Eve.... while we missed our close friends and family we had a ball and wish we could of shared it with those we love! You have to do a New Years overseas at least once in your lifetime!!

But where to start?!

Finding Nemo - A day of snorkelling fun



We started our day off with a day trip to the islands surrounding Ko Lanta with our new friends that we met in Phuket - Pat and Alison from England. I had originally booked a private day trip with Lanta Long Tail and when we found out that Pat and Alison would be on Lanta at the same time we invited them along... we are so glad we did! We all had such a ball and then ended up spending New Years Eve together as well (those english are bad influences!!)

Lanta Long Tail is a company run by a lady called Susanna and her husband (Sunny I think?!) who do private long tail boat trips out to the Islands for fishing, snorkelling and sightseeing... it works out just as cheap as doing a normal snorkelling trip but from what we witnessed during the day, it was so much better. We saw alot of other companies along the way... big boats with 50 or so people on them.... With Lanta Long Tail we always moored the boat away from the crowded boats and it was nice to just do it all at our own leisurely pace... lunch was included and was beautiful. I highly recommend them for anyone travelling to Ko Lanta!

After my last disaster snorkelling I was a little nervous, but I am proud to be able to sit here and say I DID IT! I snorkelled! It was amazing.... we snorkelled at 3 different places (or was it 4?!) and we loved it!!! Although we were all being bitten at the first place we still snorkelled! It was so fun!

For lunch we ended up on the beach at Ko Ngai... a place that Heath and I had originally planned on staying... it was exactly what I had pictured Phi Phi to be... gorgeous beach, hardly any tourists around... a real deserted beach style getaway.... We ate lunch, went for a walk and then a swim and headed back reluctantly.... the water was a little choppy on the way home but what an amazing day!!!!

Pure Buckets of Evil



Once back to the resort we decided to blow the resorts compulsory gala dinner which we had already paid 2000 baht for (more on that in the next blog) and meet up with Pat and Alison for New Years. We went to this amazing little bar that we discovered the night before called the Sunset Bar.... cheap cocktails, chilled out tunes and great little beachside seats. One thing we have discovered in Thailand is the Thais LOVE fireworks and every night since Heath has been here we have seen countless random fireworks... some spectacular and some downright dangerous... often being set off by 5 year olds.... NYE was no exception... they were even more random and more dangerous and shooting off in every which direction... We ended up staying at the Sunset Bar for dinner and drinks before setting off around 11pm in search of a more crowded setting for midnight!

While at the Sunset Bar Heath and I decided it was time to sample the Thai 'Bucket'. For those of you not in the 'know' a bucket is a kids sand pail that as kids we use to make sandcastles at the beach, filled with alcohol, redbull and softdrink... the Redbull in Thailand is illegal in Australia due to its 'lethalness' (is that a word?!).. a traditional bucket consists of the local whiskey Sangsom, although later we were to discover there are various combinations of this rocket fuel!

After our bucket all four of us headed to find some action, ending up at a bar called Ozone.... before long we were acting like 20 year olds on a mission downing buckets with names like Kamacaze..... a strong tequila concoction.... ewwwwww! See the sad photos for what these buckets can do! Before long Pat and Heath were mooning the bar and even resorting to dancing on the bar itself! Very funny.....

As all good nights do though... there were fights and tears! Heath stumbling home, throwing up on the doorstep and then when I arrived, blaming me that I 'wasnt looking after him'.... ahhhhh whats a New Years Eve without a fight right?!?! It was quite funny to look back as I have never seen Heath drunk.... and he now swears never touch an evil bucket again!!!

Hello 2007!!



2007 was welcomed with hangovers and stiff necks ( I decided to sleep at the desk in our room sitting up).... the day was spent eating Pizza at a chilled out place called Mr Wee's Pizzas and then a feast of seafood at a really nice restaurant next to our sucky resort (more on that in next blog!) called Thai Cat. We seriously had fruit shakes (coconut for Heath and pineapple for me), a large batfish in garlic pepper, a thai green chicken curry, a chicken cashew nut dish and a tom yum soup AND rice, and the whole meal cost us 700 baht ($23 AUD).... We still find it hard to believe the food prices here!

We caught up with Pat and Alison for farewell drinks (they were leaving the next day) and had an early night in preparation for our move to a new resort (Thank God!!!)

Stay tuned for the next blog rounding up our stay in Lanta.... will try get it done in the next day or two.... we are off tomorrow morning on the Ferry to Krabi, where we are catching a lunchtime flight to Bangkok then a bus to Kanchanaburi for a couple of days.... may be hard to do blogs from here on in but we will try our best....

We hope everyone had an amazing New Years.... and we miss you all.... We are off for a seafood dinner tonight so better love you and leave you... take care!

Love Reet & Heath xxxxxx

PS My email address is now changing for the time being... my email server E-Access are being *$icks so am changing when I get home.... until then you can now contact me at spau0003 at flinders.edu.au


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Ko NgaiKo Ngai
Ko Ngai

paradise!
The start of New Years EveThe start of New Years Eve
The start of New Years Eve

we were all exhausted from a day of snorkelling in the sun.... but were soon to fire up thanks to the evil buckets!
The First Evil BucketThe First Evil Bucket
The First Evil Bucket

little did we know what was to follow...
Fire DancerFire Dancer
Fire Dancer

This chick had obviously spent too much time being a hippy in Thailand!
Happy New Years!Happy New Years!
Happy New Years!

Pat in fine form!
Bugger the Straws!Bugger the Straws!
Bugger the Straws!

Aussie Style! Showing those Brits how to really do it!


3rd January 2007

yes, they are evil!
I remember those buckets...I made friends with the side of the boat the following morning on a snorkel trip because of those buckets!!! Your stories are so much fun to read!
3rd January 2007

New years eve
Hi Reet, Loved the photos of new years eve..Good laugh wish we could have been there with you guys. CJ
4th January 2007

we love reading your blog
Hi Reet We check our computer regularly for your next update - you are a great writer and your photos are fantastic. Your site is wonderfully entertaining. Only 4 days until we leave for Thailand and can't wait.
4th January 2007

Hilarious!!
Hey Guys, Looks and sounds like you had a great New Years Eve!!! I cant believe Heath was dancing on a bar!! Glad you got a pic to prove it!!! Missing you...Love Kerry xxxxx
4th January 2007

Happy New Year
Hi Reet As per usual, you crack me up. Also as per usual, great photos. Glad all's still going well. Have a great next part of your journey. Thanks for all your stories, look forward to the next one. Lee xx

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb