" Le Grand Kayaking Tour" in Krabi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
March 25th 2009
Published: April 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

If you are looking for something a bit different than ordinary boat tours in Phi Phi Islands or so you should try to Mangrove Kayaking river tour middle of the forests. The area where the trip started was called Ao Thalan, I guess all the different tours started from there so it was just up to your bargaining skills how much you end up to pay for it..

The Kayaking itself then, it was lovely and exciting. Our English speaking guides told us about the mangroves, wildlife living there and the history of the area. We also saw wild monkeys in their natural environment which were bit scary.. . Highlights were when we visited in Canyon and different bays and caves. One of the caves was previously called the crocodile cave but nowadays the name has transformed to be more real and it's called the mosquito cave... Maybe there was some but we did not spot any of them.

During the first part of the day Anniina was sitting in the kayak's bow, since we were told that more experienced person who has got the talent needs to be behind ( yeah, right, I had been kayaking something like twice before this). Our co-operation was perfect, modestly speaking, or at least we did not turned down the kayak like some other people did. I'm not sure how they managed to do that since the water was calm and sun was up high, we even need to apply the sun lotion over and over again.

James Bond island was magnificent. We had a chance to swim and eat watermelon and pineapple on the beach. Once again I wondered how the fruits can be so tasty and fresh there. Some people collected shells and I spotted a small starfish under the water near the beach. It was hard to see since it's color was like sand.

After a nice Thai lunch at the restaurant we and one Polish girl headed to continue our Full - day kayaking. This time we went back to the river and explored more that area, which happened to be completely different than mangrove's area. It was a late afternoon and the tide was really low. Every once in a while we needed to get up and carry the kayak. " Kayaking it's like a walking" our guide laughed us". All the small river creatures came up like red and blue crabs, conchs and frogs. We were lucky and even saw a varan (lizard) crossing the river! And it was more than one meter long.

When we finally reached the starting point, Ao Thalan's harbor our backs were burning and the arms were like in the fire, but the day had been fantastic! Not speaking about the next day when I almost wasn't able to raise my arms.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

One of the caves we visitedOne of the caves we visited
One of the caves we visited

sorry, the quality of the pic is such a horrible..


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb