Chinese Vegetarian Festival


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
October 16th 2007
Published: October 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Tongue piercingTongue piercingTongue piercing

You might have to zoom in to see these better (I tried to edit the photo/crop it but it didn't work with the computer program here) However, Rob did get some amazing, close up footage, through video if you really want to see it close up and personal.
Yes, you did read that right! There is a 9 day Chinese Vegetarian Festival in Thailand right now, held at various places around the country. Rob and I attended one, here in Ao nang, by invitation from the head master of the school. We learned that his mother is from China, he grew up here in Thailand, and he is practicing as a Chinese monk. He took us to the Chinese temple for lunch, consisting of all vegetarian, delicious dishes, and then a surprising, unidentifable, black jello chunk looking dish arrived. HMMM. "What is it?" we questioned ourselves. The first bite wasn't bad, the second bite ok, third bite getting more difficult to chew and swallow. Rob started swallowing the small, sweet, slimy chunks whole, both of us looking at each other with smiles and looks that didn't need words, but also trying to keep our reactions quiet because we didn't want to offend the head master or the chefs who were all watching us eat. We ended up with more black stuff in the bowl, and couldn't finish it, as best as what he tried. "Im" we said to the headmaster, which means "I'm full" in Thai, in which we definitely were. The head master also told us of the evening ceremony, in which various rituals are practiced, such as body piercings and other acts of self mortification, (gulp, ok, so a little gruesome sounding, but what an event to witness, right? All part of the experience and Thai culture though.) Rob and I arrived at the ceremony around 9 pm just in time to see the beginnings of various acts, including licking blades of swords, and body piercings, such as punctures through the cheeks and tongue, with iron rods with decorative attachments at the ends (check out the video if you think your stomach and eyes can handle it). Men and women were participating in this event and appeared to be in a trance of some sort, skaking their heads back and forth with their whole body shaking and moving at all times, while you heard the ominious sounding drum and clanging cymbols in the background, intensifying the whole experience. Sounded like the drums during a sacrifice, you might see in movies, or imagine of, during ancient times. There was also a chair, in which hundreds of sharp nails were sticking out of the back of the chair, the seat of the chair, the arms of the chair and the foot of the chair, in which the ceremonial participants would take turns sitting in this chair, some jumping up and down, others having some one else sit on top of them, increasing the pressure of the nails on them. Whew. Honestly, some of the events were difficult to watch at times, appearing to be so painful and aihaiheihahia (that was shivers running up and down my back, while my mouth was clenching tight), leaving your stomach in knots, however so awestruck too, to be witnessing such a unique cultural ritual, wow, in which you couldn't stop watching. Some people were watching us and our reaction to these events more so than the event itself, as we were the only white people at this special ceremony amongst hundreds of Thais and Chinese people. We were told it was ok to take photos and video, so we did, just wanted to give you a heads up before you may view them, if you haven't already. Once again, we were welcomed with respect and this one Thai man kept telling us to get closer and to take pictures by communicating to us through gestures and head nods. I honestly thought I was close enough and didn't want to intrude. Quite the experience, to say the least. We went there for only 1 night for about 1 hour. I think 1 hour was enough. I am hoping to learn more about this ritualist act and the meaning behind the events we witnessed. You can't say that you see that everyday. So, we hope this finds you well and still keeping your food that you just had for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, still in your stomach, hehe! Love to all!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb