Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai by Honda Wave 125


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand » Phitsanulok
March 28th 2010
Published: April 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Returned from a weekend road trip to Chiang Mai this evening. Two days and 10 hours on the road total. A bit hot in the afternoons as you might expect with some light rain in the late morning on the way back.

I ride around Thailand on a Honda Wave 125 and I manage to cruise between 100-110 kph most of the time. This trip down from Chiang Mai's Railroad Station on Sunday started early at 07:25 with the odometer showing 13,248km. Headed south along the tracks towards Lumphun for 28 km, where I turned east at 09:00, and fueled up again with another 2.17l. Cost was 70 Baht and the meter showed 13,350 km.

As I have noticed everywhere I ride, roads are constantly being improved and widened. From the most southeastern border town of Hat Yai (Hat Lek/Koh Kong) to Chiang Mai, everything is being improved. This ride was no different but the road construction wasn't that big a deal on the Wave as I just scooted around any construction delays and the line of traffic that had built due to it.

The next fuel stop was at 13,433 where I took on another 1.72 liter, costing 55 Baht. I found out on the way up to Chiang Mai that along some sections gas stations are few and far between, so it is better to stop and top off instead of waiting until you are near empty.

I had one more fuel stop at 13,544 km at 12:30, not far north of Phistanulok where I took on another 2.13 liter, costing 80 Baht. It is also at the this stop that I finally figured out the whistling noise that I had been hearing when I was moving fast and let up on the throttle was the air filter cover had come loose and one of the screws was almost ready to fall out.

One interesting thing about the road as you drop into Phistanulok is that you hit an intersection called 'IndoChina Intersection', with road signs showing if you turn left and to the east, Danang, Vietnam is 1,010 km and if you turn right, Rangoon, Burma is 670 km to the west. This junction is where Hwy 11 bisects Hwy 12. Forgot the number used on these Thai highways for the 'Asia Highway' numbers.

The final count for the trip south was 337 km, hitting the railroad station in Phistanulok at 13,585 on the bike. Easy run and a lot of fun. Photos can be found here at http://ajarncharlie.blogspot.com/2010/03/phitsanulok-to-chiang-mai-by-honda-wave.html

Ajarn Charlie
mysticsailor@gmail.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb