Day 14: Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong, Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand
February 9th 2009
Published: February 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Chiang Khong


Hotel in Chiang KhongHotel in Chiang KhongHotel in Chiang Khong

Brand spanking new!
Monday, February 9th, 2009
Remember that "Tourist Information" lady that turned out to actually be a travel agent? Well, we had booked an 11 day package with her that included train tickets, transfers, hotel in Chiang Mai, the jungle trek, minibus to Chiang Khong + hotel and a two day trip on a slow boat down the Mekong River in Laos to Luang Prabang. It was so cheap! From Luang Prabang we're on our own again and that suits us just fine!

We left Chiang Mai on a minibus in the morning for Chiang Khong on the north-east border of Laos (a country to the east of Thailand and is pronounced "Lao"). Tony and Siubhan (the Irish couple) was on the same bus so we had some friendly faces along for the ride.


It was a six hour ride and our driver wasn't very good. He would press down lightly on the accelerator for 2 seconds then lift off slightly for 2 seconds. He repeated this constantly so it created this see-saw motion where our centre of gravity would constantly shift forwards and backwards. It drove Ferdi nuts!

We arrived in Chiang Khong very relieved to be there. We went to check in and apply for Laos Visas, then we were driven to our hotel. Very new and pretty!

When we had settled in went in search of some whiskey, cause by now Talita's flu had gotten much worse. She was feeling pretty rotten. We believe it's all the aircons that made her ill. We found a gorgeous riverside restaurant overlooking the Mekong river but no whiskey, so we settled for some beers.
After dinner we went for some more beers with Tony and Siubhan.

Today's highlights:
1. Getting out of that damn minibus
2. Checking into a gorgeous new wooden hotel
3. Enjoying Chang beer in a beautiful restaurant overlooking the Mekong river


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb