Happy New Year.... third time this year !!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
April 16th 2012
Published: June 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thai New Year - Songkran Festival (12-15th April)*, well known to 'falangs' as Water Festival met us already in Pai and together with hundreds of other tourist we went to Chang Mai which apparently is THE place to be for these celebrations. But we don't like to be like everybody else so we decided to continue our journey more south to Sukhothai to experience Songkran between temple ruins of its historical park. Again we achieved our everlasting goal of being ones of only a few westerners in town and we enjoyed this selfish felling a lot. On the way to Sukhothai we could observe water being splashed everywhere around. We felt lucky that we were arriving late in the afternoon as this 3 day long water fight ceases before dusk. There is no fun in being soaked when carrying your luggage with you including all the electronic devices.

We got picked up by a guesthouse owner at the station (did not book but got invited to check) and we really liked its jungle feel and bamboo huts so we stayed. The owner was very nice and told us all we needed to know about visiting temples, which were worth paying
Khmer influenced templeKhmer influenced templeKhmer influenced temple

Lotus towers resemble Angkorian style
the ticket fee and which were not etc. We thought we would have to take a taxi to the Historical Park but we found out there was actually a bus service (30 Baht/1$ each, one way) so it was more than easy to get there. We even managed to get into the park before all the water fights began. Not that we did not want to take part but we just wanted to see the sights first;-) We were of course sceptical about the ruins because we keep comparing things to Angkor but we absolutely loved the park. Sukhothai temples were actually build by Khmers and are mini versions of architectural wonder of Angkor. The name Sukhothai means 'Rising Happiness' and perhaps was once exactly the spiritual city of fulfilment and enjoyment. Old Thai architecture seems somehow different to the Khmer one although some temples in the Park resemble influence of the later. We took our time to wander around although it was incredibly hot and we had to stop every 15 min to cool down a bit in a shadow and have a drink. We are already used to the heat but we could see poor tourists hardly dragging themselves around. Water splashing and colourful face paint was not allowed in the Historical Park but we could see the celebrations happening just outside of the fences. There was no way we could not get involved when trying to get from one Park to another. People were actually very nice and if we objected to being splashed at and they didn't. They could see we had cameras with us so we were impressed with their understanding.

Finally we gave up, packed our stuff into backpack, placed water-resistant cover on it and joined the party. In Pai this whole thing seemed quite annoying as you had to join no matter what. It is kind of involuntary festival hahah However ones you are in the party it is actually a lot of fun. The whole way back to the town (15km) was jammed with pick-up trucks and people water-fighting. We just walked alongside them and everybody poured water on us or came along to put a colourful paint on our faces. We had all different bright colours at us, some of my stained clothes still remind me of this day. They were very shy but curious about us joining in but once we were fully soaked and splashed with colours they knew we were enjoying it!!! We walked for at least 5 km taking part in this great experience, enjoying cool water in this heat, dancing and greeting locals until we caught a ride to town. It did not mean at all that we were headed home. Oh no, we were now fighting from the pick-up truck, helping little girl that was shyly splashing water from her water gun:-) That was great fun and even better were the smiles from locals that we received!!!

That was really what we loved about this day. Everybody took part, all the generations had fun and spread the blessings for a New Year 2053 (if I am not mistaken). We actually have a similar festival in Poland held on Great Monday day each year. It is traditional village festival that was supposed to help young couples to choose each other. If boy liked a girl, he would get her soaked and vice versa. The one who came home dry that day ...well was not lucky I guess. Then it evolved into celebrations similar to the ones in Thailand but mainly children take part in it and besides it is always in April when it is freezing cold – same same but different hahah. So it was our 3rd New Year in 2012 and none of them was without problems really. We were almost homeless in Hong Kong for the 2012 New Years, got stuck in Hoi An for days because of TET in Vietnam and this time we had some stress in Bangkok with finding crispy dollars to bring to Burma (as most banks and exchangers were closed for holiday) but this is another story, which we shall tell later....





* celebrated also in Laos (Pii Mai 15-17th April) and Burma (Thingyan Festival 13-17th April)


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

local boylocal boy
local boy

all the children were water fighting and he had to sit with his dad selling drinks;-(


20th June 2012

I am happy to read the post..Thanks
I think the perhaps was once exactly the religious town of satisfaction and entertainment. Old Indian structure seems somehow different to the Khmer one although some watts in the Recreation area look like impact of the later. We took our a chance to walk around although it was amazingly hot and we had to quit every 15 min to awesome down a bit in a darkness and have a consume. We are already used to the warm but we could see inadequate vacationers hardly pulling vacationer monk tourist monk tourist monk themselves around. Water splattering and vibrant face paint was prohibited in the Traditional Recreation area but we could see the parties occurring just outside of the walls. There was no way we could not get engaged when trying to get from one Recreation area to another. Perhaps was once exactly the religious town of satisfaction and entertainment. Old Indian structure seems somehow different to the Khmer one although some watts in the Recreation area look like impact of the later. We took our a chance to walk around although it was amazingly hot and we had to quit every 15 min to awesome down a bit in a darkness and have a consume. We are already used to the warm but we could see inadequate vacationers hardly pulling vacationer monk tourist monk tourist monk themselves around. Water splattering and vibrant face paint was prohibited in the Traditional Recreation area but we could see the parties occurring just outside of the walls. There was no way we could not get engaged when trying to get from one Recreation area to another. Individuals were actually very awesome and if we objected to being filled at and they didn't. They could see we had camcorders with us so we were satisfied with their knowing. http://travelinsurancequotess.blogspot.com Individuals were actually very awesome and if we objected to being filled at and they didn't. They could see we had camcorders with us so we were satisfied with their knowing. Thanks

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb