Chillin' in Pai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

PaiPaiPai

The View from our Guest House
We have been in Pai since Sunday so nearly a week now. We're staying in a lovely air conditoned bungalow (luxury) with an amazing view only draw back is the rickety bridge across the river to get to it!

Pai is a small town 4 hours away from Chaing Mai and its all about peace and love. Its got a population of about 3000 but most of its business is from the hippy westerners that visit it. Anyone who doesn't run a business catering for the tourists tends to be a farmer either growing rice, soy beans or garlic.

The town itself is small and the best way to get about to see the sites is by moped. We have hired them the last 3 days alongside a couple we met on the way here who are currently our neighbours, Jed and Hailey.

The forst day we did a local scenic tour and went to see some hot springs, a waterfall and Pai canyon. The hot springs went up to 80degrees so you couldn't go in them but a bit further down the mineral baths were like getting into a bath that was slightly too hot and we sat in those for a bit.

The waterfall was impressive and on the way to it is a farmer thats land has been ruined by earthquakes so instead he feeds the tourists visiting the waterfall fresh fruit and veg and homemade wine in exchange for a donation.

The England match that night meant we were out late and so we had a late start the next day. We drove over the mountain to Tham Lod cave about 44km away. It was 6pm by the time we got there and the swifts were returning to the cave as fast as the bats were leaving it. We had a guide who took us through the cave on a bamboo raft pointing the various funny shaped rocks. By the time we were driving home it was dark and the mountainous roads weren't so nice in the monsoon season rain!

Yesterday we rode out to the piranha fishing park and the boys fished while Hailey and I sat back. Jordan caught a couple of small catfish and piranha but it slipped away before he could get his glory photo 😞

We're not sure what our next plans are, we might leave tomorrow to visit Mae Hong Son for a night before returning to Chaing Mai to then head to Loas but this place is soo relaxed its hard to think about anything!!!

See you when you see me!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb